1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vents

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kidkim2, Jul 24, 2004.

1. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior Member

What is your preference regarding vents?  What does your tailor recommend?  (And how emphatically?)

(a)  Center?  (Fred Astaire)

(b)  Side? (Prince Charles)

Â[​IMG]  None at all?  (Cary Grant)

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I like all three. I think that it depends on the cut of the suit and your body though. For example, I can't wear a double vent if the suit is not tapered a little at the waist -- the vents just don't fall properly. I just ordered a made to measure by WW Chan and went with double vents. Off the rack I have purchased 3 ventless, 1 center vent, and 1 double vent. The key is making sure the vents hang properly on your body. IMO, it is easier to get away with a "not perfectly fitting" suit if it is ventless.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Distinguished Member

To me, only americans wear single-vented suits-- and we never look good wearing them. I haven't seen anyone wear double vents and not look good with one hand in the trouser pocket, not to mention it avoids the big problem with no vents: lots of wrinkling, as you're forced to sit on the jacket itself.

I switched to strictly double vents a few years ago, and there's no going any other way for me.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

To me personally double side vents are the most aesthetically pleasing.

No vents is usually characteristic of Italian suits.

5. TomW

TomW Senior Member

My preferences in order are:

Side vents - my overwhelming favorite

No vent

Center vent - deals too good to pass up...

the older I get, the more I refuse to buy anything not tailored with side vents.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

Absolutely agree with TomW.

7. houston

houston Well-Known Member

Are side vents more British and no vent Italian? Also, I recently bought a canali suit during a sample sale. The canali rep looked at me oddly when I asked about a center vent and told me almost all they do are side or no vent.

8. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The Italians have a way of taking good clothing ideas, improving on them, and making them thoroughly their own. Yes, I think that the British first used side vents, but they're so common on Italian jackets nowadays that you can't really call them British anymore.

9. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

2 vents which was for jumping at the begining

10. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

It's crazy that given the astheticaly pleasing look of side vents, one cannot find a suit of this nature in America for under $1000.

Also, side vents do not look good on everyone. One of my friends has a huge ass, and the flap in the back sticks out when he wears side vents. It looks REALLY funny.

11. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

I prefer side vents, but most of my suits have center vents. Take what you can get...

12. TomW

TomW Senior Member

Finding suits with side vents for little money is fairly easy, I just bought 2 HSM Gold Trumpeter suits with side vents at Nordstrom's Anniversary sale for $240 ea. You do have to look harder, but they are there. Off 5th in my area has several at $599 from Zegna, Valentino, Hugo Boss and others - and since they don't seem to move as quickly as the more traditional center vented ones - most will be on clearance in a few months.

I agree that people with larger rears probably shouldn't wear side vents, unless they are very carefully tailored. No vent at all is often the best choice for those with more ample asses.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Actually, I think double vented is more flattering for a big backside. A single vent should hang down dead straight like a plumb line. You close the jacket and let us say, your rear pushes the single vent two inches apart. The vent being two inches out of the true is clearly visible.

Go now for side vents: the two inches become one inch on either side. Adding to this the fact that the sides of a double vent are cut at an angle, any distortion from the true is more difficult to detect. Of course it is a question of degree. Your butt might be so big that it pushes out regardless, but than the jacket is a very bad fit and miles too tight around the waist.
    Again, a question of degree. If your butt pulls the fabric all over the place, that's not a pretty sight.