• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirt -- how long is too long?

Thearkly

Reaction score
you can always cut for short. Maybe not the sleeves.

Anyhow its easier to cut than to add. BTW, for big and tall theres: regular clothes tall, very tall from big and tall. If you fall between the two catagories your screwed.

jacksonn

Reaction score
For awkward sizes I would seriously consider taking the hit and getting shirts made bespoke. A good tailor will be happy to copy a design even right down to the details. I know it means not having the label but a bespoke shirt had it's own kudos as well.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question...

How much longer will the untucked* shirt look last?

The look has had a good 10 year run. Even the most deep-seated trends tend to max out after about 8-10 years. Seems that when all the middle aged guys are wearing the look, the up and coming younger guys will want something different.

Any guys here trending away from the untucked look?

* by untucked, I mean dress shirt style and not shirts intended to be worn untucked, i.e. Hawaiian.

Last edited:

jacksonn

Reaction score
I think it'll come in and out and never really go away. You see it dip in and out of catwalk shows. Personally I think it works well with layering a few garments together but looks a bit bold with just the shirt. But it's all about how you pull it off- I'm "middle aged" but I would never, ever appear in a huge, billowing white shirt, with "Top Gear" jeans and crap shoes like I see a lot of guys doing.

Thearkly

Reaction score
Im in my 20's and my torso will look short if I tuck in.
I don't think dress shirts, like legit dress shirts, should be worn un-tucked. if someone wants to add 'personality' or 'flare' to their dress shirt in my opinion it best be done through the way you wear your cuffs and what you do with your buttons.

jacksonn

Reaction score
Agree - some shirts just can't be worn untucked and others are specifically designed for it, e.g. Folk shirts, which sometimes have a detail of some kind at the base of the garment, clearly meant to be on display. I have one or two dress shirts and they'd look like nightgowns if I wore them untucked.

Thearkly

Reaction score
I just realized i had some perfectly fitting shirts tailored for lenght before i have sent them in the washer.
My shirts always shrink from the sleeves in the washer wbu guys?

Wandering

Reaction score
I just bought a Glanshirt shirt. I basically wear all my shirts untucked except for when I have to wear a blazer with them.
It's a little long though, not sure if it's too long but I have a small frame and I like how the untucked look makes me look streamlined.
It's a tartan style in dark green/ navy, which is smart enough to look nice with dress pants as with jeans.

http://cdn.yoox.biz/38/38383187do_14_f.jpg

For now it's long but not overly long. It's not a straight hem and the front and back just reaches the inside leg.

Any opinions on the length? I haven't washed it yet. It's a 100% cotton woven shirt, I don't know if it'll stretch during wear and/ or shirnk after washing.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

For those of you who like to wear your shirts untucked, how do you know when the shirttail is too long? If it completely covered your butt, then I'm sure we'd all agree that would be way too long. But how about, say, if it covered just the top third of your back jeans pockets? I'm 6'2", and that's about where my shirts, when untucked, fall on me.

I always wear my shirts untucked, whatever the cut
1f60a.png

White Lotus

Reaction score
Dress shirts tucked in. Casual shirts (optional). No right or wrong. I prefer casul shirts with a straight hem so they look better untucked. :)

styleforumfan

Reaction score
What do you say about this "half and half" tucked and untucked look? Is it a good way to wear those borderline long shirts that are long but not overly long and you are on the fence about taking them to the tailor?

Wandering

Reaction score
What do you say about this "half and half" tucked and untucked look? Is it a good way to wear those borderline long shirts that are long but not overly long and you are on the fence about taking them to the tailor?

I think it looks ridiculous, to be honest. David Beckham or not. Never settle for a compromise in clothing as I have learned over the years (from being a newbie here, I went to working in high-end menswear just a couple months ago): do it the way you want it. If it's too long and the cut of the shirt allows it to be tailored, let it be tailored. If it is too long and you can't bring it to a tailor without destroying the fit and look, then sell it.
More often than not, these cases where you can't make up your mind about clothing, turn out to be delayed throw-aways.

Last edited:

Doogan

Reaction score
I wear my EG, Beams and OL shirts untucked - they're meant to be worn that way.

I have to wear formal shirts at work. Tucking in feels a bit old man'ish to me. I'm 33.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once the shirt untucked goes below the crotch is looks like a dress. I rather get rid of it or sell it instead of keeping it. It just looks sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads