• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Uniquely different) Shopping in NYC Thread

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
I am hoping this will be a more sharply defined request for shopping wisdom in NYC, and would be grateful for any recommendations.

I will be in NYC on holiday from 19 June to 25 June, relocating back to Singapore from London in July, and I am looking for ready to wear wardrobe essentials, namely, ties, shoes, trousers, and shirts.

Suffice to say, I will only be keen on summer appropriate fabrics for clothing items (due to the relocation), and will be interested in purchases only where it would be cheaper in NY than say, in London. And if there are, of course, sales during the period whilst I am there, that would certainly be a big plus.

Well aware of Woodbury (having been there a few times before), but I am clearly keen to hear whether there are any other places worth visiting, e.g. Brooks Brothers stores in the city, Ralph Lauren boutiques (for their Purple Label shoes made by Edward Green?) etc.

And moving away from the StyleForum aspect of things, if there are other items worth purchasing from NYC simply because they are sold more cheaply than anywhere else in the world (e.g. Apple products), I'd be keen to hear them as well.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check Century 21 for ties...

bluesdance

Reaction score
And moving away from the StyleForum aspect of things, if there are other items worth purchasing from NYC simply because they are sold more cheaply than anywhere else in the world (e.g. Apple products), I'd be keen to hear them as well.
Hmm, things in NY that are cheap?... -Yoga to the People (St. Mark's Place) -- free yoga classes! -dollar pizza place (St. Mark's Place) -- $1 pizza, and it's actually pretty decent. Good for after yoga. -music -- is everywhere! start with Time Out NY or Village Voice for info... or just ride the subway. (I like the mariachi guys who ride the 1-2-3 trains.) -The Strand (near Union Square) -- a ginormous used book store. start with the 50c-$1 carts that they place outside, or go inside and be amazed by the massive collection of cheap used books and discounted new books. -Hell's Kitchen (9th Ave, ~42nd St up to ~50th) -- home of some of the best lunch specials in the city. A Thai entree with two appetizers and a drink for $7? Sign me the #!@& up! -Uniqlo (Soho) -- cheap basic garments including $20 jeans and $5 tee shirts. Also there's some uniqueness to this because if you're in North America, this is the only place you can go to get this company's products. Avoid on weekends. -Free museums -- museums with special free hours / suggested donation / always free. Stock up on cut-rate culture! -Apple products -- are just as expensive here as they are everywhere else -- unless you mean, cheaper in USD/USA than whatever currency/country you're coming from, in which case, yeah. There are four Apple Stores in Manhattan, all crowded all the time. But the lines move fast. You can also go to Tekserve, a licensed Apple retailer on 23rd St, and get the slightly outdated models for a slightly reduced price. -B&H Photo Video (near Penn Station) -- is, as far as I know, the biggest electronics store in the world -- go here for whatever other electronics you want to buy in our weak currency. (Note: Stay far far away from the camera stores in Times Square! They are evil.) That should get you started
teacha.gif

sarto

Reaction score
century 21 is a good option for ties. you'll go nuts there. it's a bit sad that some of their ties are damaged, but you can get good brands there in the 50-80 range. tom fords are 80 bucks. same with brioni i think. the large fashion house ties (armani, prada, etc) are about 60 bucks. they have good suits too -- some very nice designer suits for 300 bucks.

i also recommend checking out HousingWorks. It's a thrift store and they have a variety of locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn. great option for ties (10-30 bucks), suits, jeans, and shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads