• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ugh, PSA Ike behar OTR shirts

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of Behar shirts this weekend at Barneys. Never brought a Behar shirt before, but one of them had a really unique blue sheen that drew me to it.

I just wore it for the first time today, and it has one of the poorest fits I've ever seen on an OTR shirt. It's like a freakin trash bag! I am a slim 16 35-36, and both shirts fit like a 18. I mean really it's like I brought it from a maternity store or something.

Behar makes some really nice ties, but I'd stay away from their shirts.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't slim, sure, but not too bad IMO. I had them taken in a bit and love them. Plus the material is superb and long lasting.

Why'd you by them if you hate the fit?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
They aren't slim, sure, but not too bad IMO...
Why'd you by them if you hate the fit?

I mean, seriously. American market Kiton and Borrelli aren't the slimmest shirts either, should we stay away from the too?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use it for table napkins.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I mean, seriously. American market Kiton and Borrelli aren't the slimmest shirts either, should we stay away from the too?

Yes.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt was folded up and bagged so I couldn't really try it on. I've never had a problem with a 16 fitting that poorly before. It wasn't really a big deal, I can just take it back. I may actually have the blue one tailored because I love the fabric so much.

Just letting people know they run really big, imo.

nsoltz

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I know that I am a 15.5US/39EU in every shirt except the Behar's. So I buy a 15. I also pick them up for $60 or less at NM Last Call and the Behar's are the staple of my day-to-day wear. They launder very nicely and I think all in all they are a decent garment.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their shirts are alright. I think their ties are very underrated. Self tipped and some great silks. Still made in the US. A nice value at a consistent $30 at discount.

effang

Reaction score
where do you live that you can't try on a shirt before purchase?

that's just silly...every designer has a different fit.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
I picked up a couple of Behar shirts this weekend at Barneys. Never brought a Behar shirt before, but one of them had a really unique blue sheen that drew me to it.

I just wore it for the first time today, and it has one of the poorest fits I've ever seen on an OTR shirt. It's like a freakin trash bag! I am a slim 16 35-36, and both shirts fit like a 18. I mean really it's like I brought it from a maternity store or something.

Behar makes some really nice ties, but I'd stay away from their shirts.

The "Ike Behar for Neiman Marcus" shirts with the gold label are a slimmer cut and have nice MOP buttons, better fabrics and better construction. A good deal as they are always marked down to $50-$65.

mdg137

Reaction score
Find a good tailor--

Ive bought dozens of OTR shirts on ebay, or at a serious discount, and had them taken in. As long as the shoulders and neck are good, youre good to go. I usually have the sleeves shortened, chest and waist taken in, and arms tapered slightly.

At this point, my tailor has all the measurements on file-- I just take the stuff in, and away we go.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are complaining that an OTR shirt you did not try on before buying does not fit? It does not appear to be a problem with the shirt or brand to me. I have purchased several IB shirts (tried them on first) and NM Last call for around $15 on clearance sale -- great shirts, great fit and great price.

Twotone

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
The shirt was folded up and bagged so I couldn't really try it on.

Sure you can- that's what sales attendants are for; and if they refuse... well... I believe Dante reserved a ring for them.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties yay, shirts nay.

BTW, didn't you actually try the shirt on in the store???

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor only charges a few bucks to take in a dress shirt and I have him do it to all but my most perfect fitting shirts. I buy for the fabric, collar, shoulder fit and arm position/fit and let Mr. Park take care of the rest.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads