• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Two Questions about vests

barrygavin

Reaction score
1. What do you guys think of this vest? Is the white lining fashionable or does it look wierd? I'm just not sure how I feel about it. it's Ben Sherman.
2. when wearing a two button jacket, when the top button is buttoned, should you see a lot of the vest or just a sliver of it?

dasai

Reaction score
1. Is the white detailing on the front as well? If not, then it's no big deal, as no one will see it anyway because it's hidden under your jacket.

2. Depends. If you have a two-button jacket, you'll see a lot. If you have a 3-button, not so much. On the other hand, a tuxedo should have only a sliver showing past the jacket's single-button closure, which is why a 6-button business suit vest is so wildly inappropriate.

barrygavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
1. Is the white detailing on the front as well? If not, then it's no big deal, as no one will see it anyway because it's hidden under your jacket.

I would want to wear it without the jacket as I like the look of just a vest but I'm not so sure I like the white lining. It's also not on the front.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barrygavin
I would want to wear it without the jacket as I like the look of just a vest but I'm not so sure I like the white lining. It's also not on the front.

The white looks weird. I don't recommend you wear a waistcoat without a jacket as it will look like something is missing. If you're going to wear a waistcoat casually without a jacket it should have a back in the same fabric as the front, not just a lining fabric.

Annadale

Reaction score
The white piping looks strange. Could you post a pic of the front please?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The white looks weird. I don't recommend you wear a waistcoat without a jacket as it will look like something is missing. If you're going to wear a waistcoat casually without a jacket it should have a back in the same fabric as the front, not just a lining fabric.
You'll be doing well to find self backed waistcoats RTW (other than those polyester catering ones). I've got a couple second-hand from a vintage store but they were originally made bespoke for someone.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 46 9.2%