• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two in One - Kyoto/Osaka and Luggage Question

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
Wife and I are headed to Kyoto/Osaka at end of November on way back home from Taipei - hoping to catch the leaf change in full swing.

My question are:
1) Does anyone have any shopping or menswear suggestions for Osaka/Kyoto? We've been to Kyoto before, but were mostly sightseeing.

2) I want to bring a couple suits and sport coats - need mostly for Taiwan but will also likely want to dress nicely for kaiseki in Kyoto. I don't have a great bag for bringing cm with me. I have a Tumi Alpha 2 garment roller carry on. Usually when I travel Jetblue domestic LA/NY I just bring a hanging bag and use the closet.
Am I crazy for wanting to check a bag? I have been looking at the Briggs and Riley wheeled wardrobe. https://www.briggs-riley.com/collec...-bags/products/baseline-wheeled-wardrobe-u178 Maybe overkill? Is there a concrete advantage to a dedicated garment bag of that type in anyone's opinion?

Thanks for any insight!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
Wife and I are headed to Kyoto/Osaka at end of November on way back home from Taipei - hoping to catch the leaf change in full swing.

My question are:
1) Does anyone have any shopping or menswear suggestions for Osaka/Kyoto? We've been to Kyoto before, but were mostly sightseeing.

2) I want to bring a couple suits and sport coats - need mostly for Taiwan but will also likely want to dress nicely for kaiseki in Kyoto. I don't have a great bag for bringing cm with me. I have a Tumi Alpha 2 garment roller carry on. Usually when I travel Jetblue domestic LA/NY I just bring a hanging bag and use the closet.
Am I crazy for wanting to check a bag? I have been looking at the Briggs and Riley wheeled wardrobe. https://www.briggs-riley.com/collec...-bags/products/baseline-wheeled-wardrobe-u178 Maybe overkill? Is there a concrete advantage to a dedicated garment bag of that type in anyone's opinion?

Thanks for any insight!

In my line of work me and my colleagues fly several times a month, and at least once a month intercontinental. Some of them have at some point over the years bought one these suit carriers, but usually leave them at home after one trip. In my experience suits will still wrinkle a bit in them and hold no real benefit over a good “regular” suitcase. If you fold your suit correctly it’ll stay fine in a regular one.

As for checking, I’ve never lost a suitcase in Japan, domestic flights or otherwise..

As for shopping in Osaka, sorry I’m usually otherwise preoccupied☹ But there should be plenty there, it’s an awesome city with a bit more freewheeling direct attitude than Tokyo. The Marriott in the center is new and has an awesome view from day the 50th floor:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my line of work me and my colleagues fly several times a month, and at least once a month intercontinental. Some of them have at some point over the years bought one these suit carriers, but usually leave them at home after one trip. In my experience suits will still wrinkle a bit in them and hold no real benefit over a good “regular” suitcase. If you fold your suit correctly it’ll stay fine in a regular one.

As for checking, I’ve never lost a suitcase in Japan, domestic flights or otherwise..

As for shopping in Osaka, sorry I’m usually otherwise preoccupied☹ But there should be plenty there, it’s an awesome city with a bit more freewheeling direct attitude than Tokyo. The Marriott in the center is new and has an awesome view from day the 50th floor:

Thanks for the insight. I'm not worried about losing a bag in Japan - bit more worried about Taiwan, but I'll be on JAL there anyway so should be fine.

As for Osaka/Tokyo...not been to Osaka. Tokyo is fine....not really my cup of tea. Love Kyoto, but I'm a History nerd.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Osaka/Tokyo...not been to Osaka. Tokyo is fine....not really my cup of tea. Love Kyoto, but I'm a History nerd.

As am I although my history focuses on European between Napoleon and ww1, completely agree on Kyoto though. Osaka historically was the free trading port of japan, and it is still noticeable in the way they work. Had some dealings with the prefectural government there, nothing like the overbearing Tokyo type or the completely ossified ones you find out in the provinces.. Osaka castle is a beautiful place from the outside, but wholly modern on the inside, decent museum collection is in there. The shrines however are worthwhile.

That’s about as much as I can give, usually only there for 2 or 3 days tops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads