• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twenty Fifth Anniversary Of Challenger Disaster

D Yizz

Reaction score
I was in 8th grade. Heard it on the news on the bus on the way back. When I got to my grandma's home, it was on all channels. (All 4 of them cuz she didnt have cable, lol!)

cncrd

Reaction score
9th grade chemistry class. They came over the PA system and announced it. We had a television in the classroom, so we stopped class and watched it, and the room filled up with other teachers and thair classes pretty quickly.

I still remember sitting in that class that day, before it happened, and thinking "I'll be in this f*cking class the rest of my life". Nothing to do with what happened, just a coincidental thought on that day. One of the reasons I remember it so clearly.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
we call it 2nd year high school here... found out on the news, and watched footages of it on the u.s. armed forces channel on uhf.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that one of the astronaut's kids were in their classroom watching live as it took off and exploded.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There were lots of school children watching this particular launch because as a public relations ploy to re-energize interest in the space program, NASA selected a school teacher (Christa McAuliffe) to be the first civilian to go into space. It was highly publicized to schools ("First Teacher in Space" and all that). So many schools had specifically set aside time and brought TV's into the classrooms so that kids could watch.

As a public relations strategy it didn't work out all that well.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I watched the NASA video of the investigation report today. Fascinating stuff. It's assumed the astronauts all survived the initial booster disintegration based on the fact that they had activated switches to try and restore power to their capsule. They were conscious for anywhere between a few seconds up until the capsule hit the ocean. I can't even imagine that.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I watched the NASA video of the investigation report today. Fascinating stuff. It's assumed the astronauts all survived the initial booster disintegration based on the fact that they had activated switches to try and restore power to their capsule. They were conscious for anywhere between a few seconds up until the capsule hit the ocean. I can't even imagine that.
+1.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was in 3rd grade. We didn't watch it live but the teachers called us together right after it happened to tell us the news. I guess it was one of those seminal moments. I remember the teachers telling us that they remembered where they were when JFK was killed and that this would be our version of it.

One of the astronauts (Judy Resnick) had a nephew who was in my little brother's class, but they weren't in the school yet - the next year they were in first grade and that's when he learned that his classmate's aunt had a pretty somber claim to fame. I can only imagine what the scene would have been had it happened a year later; no doubt the whole class of first graders would have been watching.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Its because they couldn't get 7 UP!!

No one remembers this joke that came out 1 week after the accident?

I do. Bums me out how time slips by in a blink of an eye.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The date was my birthday and I was on my way to work. By the time I got there one of the waiters, a screaming queen. was running around cracking jokes about it. What does NASA stand for? Need another seven astronauts. He kept cracking on about it all day with these stupid banal jokes.
ffffuuuu.gif

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As documented in one of Richard Feynman's books, the explosion was caused by an o-ring that failed to seal. The probable cause was that the o-ring didn't expand quickly enough due to in-elasticity caused by the cold temperatures that day. The temperature at launch time was the coldest it had been for any launch.

There were engineers that were very concerned about the cold problem, but they either were pushed aside or were not forceful enough with their opinions.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was on my way to class when it happened. I know Ronald McNair's brother, Carl, and have spoken to him quite a bit about his brother and what happened on that day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads