• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tulsa tailor?

Fly1296

Reaction score
Yes, I did a search. Yes, I found two previous threads asking the same question; however, neither had any responses. This post is entirely for the purpose of enabling me to pm the two previous threads' starters to see if they ever found one.

Zub

Reaction score
Vo's Tailor Shop. He is the ONLY tailor I will use. He's the only person in Tulsa that I would consider "SF approved." He does excellent work.

Zub

Reaction score
Need another one to purchase on B&S (to send PM). Probably going to be the best/worst thing to ever happen to me.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I am adding to this thread for the sake of posterity. (Read: mild thread necromancy)

I have not worked with Vo since 1999 or so. But I can attest that he is very much in keeping with the current trend of close-fitting suits. Honestly, the first time Vo cut a pair of pants for me I felt that an observant bystander could hazard a guess at my religion afterward. I was not ready for a modern fit then and I am less ready now.

But this is the absolute thing now and Vo was ahead of this curve in fashion for sure. This failing is mine, not Vo's.

I now work with "Sherman Ray" (Ray's Tailor Shop). "Ray" is getting on in years but was still working last time I dropped in with a few odd jackets.

The deciding factor should be how you want your suit to fit.

Ray's is the place to go if you prefer a more classic or generous cut. I had a hard time (like 3 visits hard) to get Vo to give me what we used to call a "Swiss banker cut" on my trousers. I'm a good sized man (52L, 20" neck, 40" waist, +3 ape index) and Ray knows how to drape a suit so the differential between my chest and waist does not cause my jacket to swing around like a Victorian gown. With other tailors I either get the "bell effect" or I look like I am ready to fight crime. Ray has a real feel for a "natural shoulder" on a jacket if you have some actual muscle and meat on your shoulders. Be advised: Ray won't make up whole suits anymore for love or money.

If you desire to be current to-date with cut - Vo would be great.

As for myself I don't know what I will do when Ray finally retires - it will be soon, I fear as he is pushing 94. I have worked with tailors on 2 continents and 5 countries and Ray is best tailor I have ever found. He's so good that people "in the know" in Tulsa DON'T recommend him to keep their own wait times down. I have met senators, judges, barristers, professors, and many of Tulsa's trust fund set in the front room of Ray's.

Also, whatever tailor you chose, I recommend you search videos/articles for "Sherman Ray Tulsa Tailor" online to learn about Ray's story surviving WWII. If you love him like I do it may make you cry a bit.

CMAc7

Reaction score
I am just amazed that I am not the only Style Forum member in the Tulsa area. I thought I was on a sartorial island...

unsuitable

Reaction score
CMAc7, Being stranded on a sartorial island with me is quite similar to being alone - did you not notice how out-of-date I am?

I do plan on making a run by some of the better retail shops in OKC next week while I am there on business. I hope to ask around about a tailor there. Sherman was stolen from OKC in the 60's by the old Tulsa oil money (he tells a great story about this).

Now that the economic pendulum has swung back to OKC I am guessing that someone has attracted a non-nonagenarian tailor with all that money floating around. The laws of supply and demand seem to suggest it - I simply need to find them (I hope).

My two least favorite Peccadilloes of Vo and Sherman Ray:

1. When Vo moves from my front to my back by moving between my legs when measuring my inseam - and back again! I must be bow legged.
2. When Ray pokes me with a pin (true) if I have gained weight from visit to visit. He is more accurate than my Fitbit scale at home.

CMAc7

Reaction score
Ha! If you do find a tailor in OKC who can do more than simply hem trousers, you will have found the third such person in the State. Bespoke has been something I have avoided, not due to cost, but lack of trust in my community. Good to know Vo theoretically could, provided I lose ten pounds after a fitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads