1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tucking in the shirt under a sweater

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Hank Rearden, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden Senior member

I occasionally wear a white dress shirt underneath v-neck sweaters/sweater vests and have always tucked the dress shirt in. I'm noticing that, more often than not, people are leaving the dress shirt untucked presumably to make the look appear less 'studied.' What do you guys do?

Also, assuming you're wearing a spread or point collar do you ensure both sides of the collar are on top of the v-neck or do you leave one side of the collar tucked into the sweater to, again, make the look appear less studied?

Thanks,
    Hank

2. breakz

breakz Senior member

I occasionally wear a white dress shirt underneath v-neck sweaters/sweater vests and have always tucked the dress shirt in. I'm noticing that, more often than not, people are leaving the dress shirt untucked presumably to make the look appear less 'studied.' What do you guys do? Also, assuming you're wearing a spread or point collar do you ensure both sides of the collar are on top of the v-neck or do you leave one side of the collar tucked into the sweater to, again, make the look appear less studied? Thanks, Hank
    Untucked under a sweater looks sloppy to me. "Planned messiness" is ridiculous. And there's also a question of wearing a spread or point collar shirt without a tie... Please post in the "Ask a question" thread next time.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Somtimes it looks good untucked. Sometimes better tucked. Dunno if there are hard rules. I've seen both work and have seen both look bad

4. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

It depends on the length of the shirt.

Proper dress shirts are very long, so as to prevent the shirt from coming untucked by accident. These should not be purposely untucked because then you will have 8 inches of white shirt popping out below your sweater. You won't look unstudied; you'll look like a slob.

But there are less formal dress shirts available now that aren't long at all, and as Chrono said, they can be pulled off untucked.

5. jon bones

jon bones Senior member

if i'm throwing a vest or sweater over a button down, i will always tuck it in. can't stand untucked shirts under sweaters as it always looks too unkempt.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Looks good if it's a short shirt that would look good untucked anyway, and with a v-neck that doesn't have a very snug waistband. Allows the shirt to hang right.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I always tuck it and I leave the collar inside. I ofte fully button the dress shirt.

8. Chrispy

Chrispy Senior member

I remember a pic somewhere of Mauro doing it, and it didn't look bad.

I agree with TheDroog that it depends on the length of the shirt

9. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

I agree of course with it depends on the shirt, and I'll add that it also depends on the situation and what else I'm wearing. As in, in looks a lot better with jeans and a cord jacket in a college setting than it does with trousers at work in an office.

Jared,

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

definitely depends on shirt length.

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

Somtimes it looks good untucked. Sometimes better tucked. Dunno if there are hard rules. I've seen both work and have seen both look bad

^ This.

12. jet

jet Senior member

Untuck under knit is only ok if shirt only peeks out a little and I always tuck shirt collar inside.

13. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

it looks awful. If you can't tuck in a shirt with a sweater don't bother to wear the sweater. Looks like you're a crazy homeless guy with mental problems.

Why not just leave your underwear out so everyone can see it too. Or pull your socks over your pants...

Does that look cool too?

14. jet

jet Senior member

^you're an idiot

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

it looks awful. If you can't tuck in a shirt with a sweater don't bother to wear the sweater. Looks like you're a crazy homeless guy with mental problems.

Why not just leave your underwear out so everyone can see it too. Or pull your socks over your pants...

Does that look cool too?

16. Robert

Robert Senior member

Does that look cool too?

I've seen both work and I've also seen both look bad.

17. BB1

BB1 Senior member

If wearing a button down under your sweater makes you feel overly "studied" or too formal then perhaps you should discard the button down rather than trying to make it into a sloppy mess. Obviously you do not feel comfortable wearing a button down in this context, so why even try to force it on yourself?

My solution....

1. Get rid of your v-neck sweaters and only buy crew necks.

2. Only buy sweaters that look interesting on their own without viewing a button down as a crutch to "dress up" or add visual interest to an otherwise drab sweater. This means no more basic looking Banana Republic or J. Crew style sweaters!

3. Ensure the other pieces such as pants and shoes are up to the task.

I see too many guys who take an outfit of faded jeans, ugly pseudo dress shoes, plain v-neck sweater and then add a button down underneath as if suddenly they're all "dressed up". It's as if the button down is a crutch used to dress up any crappy outfit.

Old men do the same thing, except they use baggy polyester black slacks in place of the jeans and they always tuck their shirts in. So the concept of the button down as the staple of "I'm all dressed up without needing to think about it" appears to be universal.

18. MrG

MrG Senior member

I wear button downs under sweaters, so the collar in/out thing isn't really an issue. It's very much a question of preference, but I don't really like the look of shirts under a sweater when it's not a button-down collar. I especially don't like it when the collar is on top of the v-neck (i.e. I like it tucked).

I also tuck in my shirt. If the sweater has any semblance of a waist band leaving it untucked makes it look like a tutu.

I've seen the opposite of my preferences done well by others, but, in a majority of cases, I prefer a tucked-in button down.

19. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden Senior member

If wearing a button down under your sweater makes you feel overly "studied" or too formal then perhaps you should discard the button down rather than trying to make it into a sloppy mess. Obviously you do not feel comfortable wearing a button down in this context, so why even try to force it on yourself?

My solution....

1. Get rid of your v-neck sweaters and only buy crew necks.

2. Only buy sweaters that look interesting on their own without viewing a button down as a crutch to "dress up" or add visual interest to an otherwise drab sweater. This means no more basic looking Banana Republic or J. Crew style sweaters!

3. Ensure the other pieces such as pants and shoes are up to the task.

I see too many guys who take an outfit of faded jeans, ugly pseudo dress shoes, plain v-neck sweater and then add a button down underneath as if suddenly they're all "dressed up". It's as if the button down is a crutch used to dress up any crappy outfit.

Old men do the same thing, except they use baggy polyester black slacks in place of the jeans and they always tuck their shirts in. So the concept of the button down as the staple of "I'm all dressed up without needing to think about it" appears to be universal.

Thank you for your input. I am totally comfortable with tucking my shirt and don't feel overly studied at all. I was merely trying to gather input of those more knowledgeable than myself on this subject since I see so many men dressing in a way that I do not.

I am delighted to find that most everyone thinks tucking the shirt in is a viable option, even if there is some disagreement whether or not it is okay to leave it untucked. I do find it interesting that everyone tucks their collar in.

20. jet

jet Senior member

Tucking the collar is tasteful and shows restraint plus doesn't look tacky as all hell like untucked collars. I typically don't let any shirt cuff show past the sweater cuff either, I don't like shirt overload when the top edge of the collar and slight bit at the bottom hem are showing.