• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trying too hard.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i see a lot of people out there who are trying to dress well but just look like ****. they look like they've got no life and are just trying to impress people or make themselves feel superior. dressing well should natural, subtle, appear effortless.

what do you guys think about people who try too hard?

what do you think separates dressing well and trying too hard?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that trying too hard (to dress well) is still better than not trying at all (to dress well)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Trying too Hard guys look like they put waay too much thought into their outfit, and it never looks quite at ease with the wearer.

But at least they're trying. Hopefully down the road they'll become effortless cool. All effortlessly awesome dressers were trying-too-hard guys at one point

bant

Reaction score
i think the typical TB wearer falls into this category. something about the undersized aesthetic (short pants moreso than the typical fit of the jacket) just screams "look at me - i'm fashionable. and if you don't like it - **** you because you don't 'get it'" i feel its a look that is contrived to the point of pretentious. the novelty of the get-up is more or less a logo in my mind.

THAT said I really respect the back to basics simple old school luxury and think its inspired some good looks.

apologies for the random TB rant - was just on my mind for some reason.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. It's one of the reasons I've really tried to cut down on buying stuff this f/w (well, except for the 5EPxSF and SUFUxWarehouse jeans
blush.gif
). Unless you're in suits all the time, very little that's brand new looks natural. I'm trying to actually live in my clothes a little more.

On a related note, I find myself thinking most people try too hard (IRL, not on SF).

Barry

Reaction score
I totally agree. If you don't want to look like **** or odd then you have to consider what the masses are wearing. Look at the models and mannequins in large, moderately priced chain stores and don't diverge too much from that. If you want to buy at expensive stores, that's fine, but you have to be aware of what's too unusual and avoid it unless you don't mind attempting to be a trend setter and risking looking weird. If you just watch fashion shows read fashion magazines, you'll be exposed too all kinds of wild things that some famous designer of not commonly worn clothes is trying to get people to wear. They could be OK, but you need a certain level of good taste to be able to pick out something that won't make you look weird.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Trying too Hard guys look like they put waay too much thought into their outfit, and it never looks quite at ease with the wearer.

But at least they're trying. Hopefully down the road they'll become effortless cool. All effortlessly awesome dressers were trying-too-hard guys at one point

Originally Posted by 1969
I can say that with about 6 months of SF under my belt, trying too hard is just another way to say throwing a bunch of **** at the wall to see what sticks. Discovering my style and "owning it" means making mistakes along the way.

+1

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the models and mannequins in large, moderately priced chain stores and don't diverge too much from that.
confused.gif

There's a difference, though, between looking natural and playing it safe. To be honest, a guy like Chris. who posts here in relatively outlandish stuff that emphasizes his waifishness looks natural to me. On the other hand, most guys at a meatmarket bar on a Saturday night will be wearing stuff that is more, uh, socially acceptable, but at least as ridiculous.

kakemono

Reaction score
imho, its all about how you carry yourself in what you wear

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
imho, its all about how you carry yourself in what you wear

+1. Take a look at truly cool guys. Young Brando, Steve McQueen. They all look the business, and I'm sure that they were aware of their clothes and image. But it just comes naturally. Don't try to be something you are not. If you are a slim suit guy, don't try to be Al Gore in the 2000 election.

Reaction score
What's that Italian word that the gentleman in Men's Clothing throw around that means something along the lines of what we call "steez" (i.e. style with ease)? You know, the glove hanging out of jacket pocket thing. Oh, "Spretzatura"-------"careless grace". The key is to leave your look a bit unfinished. Sometimes that means losing the belt. A slightly sloppy tuck. Irregular cuffing on jeans, instead of carefully folded.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everyone, who is stylish, starts off "trying to hard".

Because somewhere down the line, that guy will realize what worked and what didn't, and now style will come naturally to him through a period of trial and error.

Or they remain stuck in that phase forever.

bob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
confused.gif

To be honest, a guy like Chris. who posts here in relatively outlandish stuff that emphasizes his waifishness looks natural to me. On the other hand, most guys at a meatmarket bar on a Saturday night will be wearing stuff that is more, uh, socially acceptable, but at least as ridiculous.

Chris carries it really well. I would never wear the stuff he does but i admire the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads