• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Waist Measurement

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a co-worker about why he wears his pants kind of low (can't recall how this came up). He's somewhat overweight. He has a small gut that is noticeable over his belt.

I'm curious, what would be the true waist size for someone built like this? He buys 36 inch waist pants, which currently appears to sit at hips, below his belly. If he were to wear his pants at his waist, which I understand includes part of your belly, to the extent you have one, this guy's waist measurement could easily climb to a 40 or 42, although he doesn't really look fat.

For the guys with a gut, how do you account that into your waist size and comfort, especially when you have to sit for extended lengths of time?

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My trouser waist size is 16 ½ inches, if I wear my pants around my neck. However, if I wear them at that point between the top of my hip bones and the bottom of my rib cage that allows for proper drape, my trouser waist size is 36 inches. That's the 35 inches that my actual waist measures, plus room to comfortably tuck in a shirt (and undershirt in cooler weather) and allow the trousers to hang unimpeded, with pleats fully closed, from my suspenders.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to accurately measure your waist unless you do it every day, i.e. you are a tailor. You could inhale or exhale, measure too high or too low, and you will be off by an inch easily.

It's much more accurate to measure a pair of pants which fit you well. Lay the pants down and measure the waist.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's difficult to accurately measure your waist unless you do it every day, i.e. you are a tailor. You could inhale or exhale, measure too high or too low, and you will be off by an inch easily.

It's much more accurate to measure a pair of pants which fit you well. Lay the pants down and measure the waist.

Pick a pair of pants with a comparable rise, too. The waistband measurement of a pair of lowrise jeans may be different to that of English braced trousers, even though the same person each fits well.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About two inches greater than one thinks it is.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So do you prefer a guy with his pants below his belly or those pulled up that are lassoed around his navel?
I'm for the first one becuase I dislike seeing foopah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads