• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

trousers to wear with t-shirts

discopope

Reaction score
i just bought a T-shirt, pale yellow with a bit of cream to it, a sky blue/grey print on the front. it's a great shirt, with excellent hang to it, but i'm not sure what trousers to wear with it. i could always wear some jeans, but i'm going out and jeans seem so tired...any suggestions?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T-shirt is for gym.

Seriously, though, a t-shirt is very casual attire, 'nice print' or no. So jeans are your best bet. If the event/environment is too dressy for jeans, it's too dressy for a t-shirt. Unless it's a nice, dressy, silk t-shirt with sleeves 3/4 to the elbow or something.

discopope

Reaction score
i mainly meant to find something slightly different than jeans to wear with it...not to dress it up, just as an alternative to denim.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differnet sorts of cotton casual pants, perhaps in slightly faded summer colors or neutrals. I'm sure there are examples of this on the Sartorialist's blog.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by discopope
i just bought a T-shirt, pale yellow with a bit of cream to it, a sky blue/grey print on the front. it's a great shirt, with excellent hang to it, but i'm not sure what trousers to wear with it. i could always wear some jeans, but i'm going out and jeans seem so tired...any suggestions?

Some suggestions:
* Linen pants (e.g. natural, brown, navy...)
* Linen "jeans"
* Fine whale corduroy "jeans (e.g. grey)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In one of Flusser's books, Cecil Beaton was shown wearing a white tee-shirt, and some sort of a white suit with opera pumps, which looked quite jaunty.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
casual pants other than jeans? Khakis, chinos, cords? Cargo pants for sure.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen trousers would look good with those t-shirts.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
How about a pair of flat-front khakis?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, it's important to have the pants fit closely to how the t-shirt fits. You don't want a tight t-shirt and baggy pants.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 270 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40