• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouble finding shoes for my wedding

Cyber0066

Reaction score
I'm the groom and am trying to find a nice pair of shoes for my wedding. I'm wearing a black 3 piece suit and ended up picking up a pair of black Armani monk strap shoes. I was originally looking for lace ups and never considered monk straps. But what I like about this shoe is the shape of is and the sheen that the leather has. I'm also a little torn wearing monk straps with a suit. I think the shoe looks great but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there.

So I guess I'd like to get your opinion on these shoes for my wedding and other occasions in the future

Or can you guys recommend a lace up version of this shoe with the same shape and shine. I just want a clean look with no brogueing. Reason I mention shine is because I found these Paul Franks but they the look was dull in person: http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/pau...ck-taylors-shoe-sfxd-h026-hav-n3/product.html

Cyber0066

Reaction score
I've never owned a pair of shoes over $300 in my life. Is it the norm to shine a pair of new shoes when you get them?

greyinla

Reaction score
A good quality full-grain leather shoe might not be as "shiny" as a corrected-grain one. But yes, a good polishing on even a new shoe can help bring out the shine. Many threads--and opinions--on this, but never hurts to start w/ just a bit of shoe conditioner/cleaner; let dry, and buff out. Like the look of those monkstraps.

Snedley

Reaction score
I'm the groom and am trying to find a nice pair of shoes for my wedding. I'm wearing a black 3 piece suit and ended up picking up a pair of black Armani monk strap shoes. I was originally looking for lace ups and never considered monk straps. But what I like about this shoe is the shape of is and the sheen that the leather has. I'm also a little torn wearing monk straps with a suit. I think the shoe looks great but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there.
So I guess I'd like to get your opinion on these shoes for my wedding and other occasions in the future
Or can you guys recommend a lace up version of this shoe with the same shape and shine. I just want a clean look with no brogueing. Reason I mention shine is because I found these Paul Franks but they the look was dull in person: http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/pau...ck-taylors-shoe-sfxd-h026-hav-n3/product.html

Why are you wearing a black suit to a wedding?It's not a funeral
lol8[1].gif

Cyber0066

Reaction score

Why are you wearing a black suit to a wedding?It's not a funeral
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

I don't see what the problem is. I see black tuxes all the time. Though mine isn't a tux, it's a 3 piece suit with a bit of sheen on the fabric and a notched lapel. Not quite a tux but pretty close.

buzzron

Reaction score
A lace up version of those shoes would look good. I think black puts off people because it seems too somber for a wedding. A dark navy would be more appropriate if it was me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a shop and select a decent lace up oxford style (Balmorals to those in the US). Elbow grease enables them to shine.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why are you wearing a black suit to a wedding? you are not a burglar!!!
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

ftfy^^^

I don't see what the problem is. [COLOR=FF00AA]I see black tuxes all the time. [/COLOR]Though mine isn't a tux, it's a 3 piece suit with a bit of sheen on the fabric and a notched lapel. Not quite a tux but pretty close.

But a black suit(3 piece/shiny/notch) is NOT tux. Can't you go with a blue suit or proper tux?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh...and like the shoes....Just not with a black suit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads