• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Europe

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday I returned from a week long journey to London and Rome, needless to say I'm exhausted but I wanted to share with you guys my experiences. I started off in London looking for shirts and shoes. The H&K sale was still going on so I decided to pick up a couple. I opted for a navy small check, red with navy outline large check, and a pale blue stripe. All snagged for 45 GBP a piece and altered in two days for an extra 7 GBP. Next was shoes. I searched around for a bit visiting every name relevant to southampton and largely due to the recommendations on this site and ask andy opted for a pair Edward Green's, although Cleverley's had some new Adelaide's that were mighty tempting (New & Lingwood also had some beauties). After the initial ackwardness with Ray, I think he thought I was some young kid with not a clue about shoes, I settled with the Inverness in oak pine. Its fitted on the 808 last and fit me so well I opted to purchase the Fawsley on the same last in black. Price for Inverness was 445 GBP and Fawsley was 525 GBP. Estimated ship time is 10 - 12 weeks, ouch. The next day I went back to St. James with the idea of purchasing a blazer. After searching around I oddly settled with Dunhill's custom program (basically a MTM program). Ian Warrington was the custom manager and a heck of a guy, spent his time cutting his teeth at Henry Poole. I was able to pick the buttons, lining and jacket details (ticket pocket, notch lapels) and was fitted in a little over an hour. I must say the process was about as smooth as any I've experienced. Price post VAT reduction was 725 GBP. Estimated ship time is 4 - 6 weeks. I'll post pics when I recieve. Later that day I went on to visit Budd where I purchased some great pocket squares for 10 GBP as well as a formal shirt for an upcoming wedding. Next I visited Savile Row and happened to stroll into Ede & Ravencroft where I was glued into buying a snazzy dinner suit, one button peak lapel in black. Its currently being altered but I'll post pics when I get it back. The quality seems reliable and the service was top notch. I found there ties in house to be some of the best that I found on my journey. Next was Rome, a city I had never visited before. My main focus was buying some shoes and the first place I visited was Lattanzi. Beautiful little store, tremendous shoes, unbelievable prices. I tried two pairs of black shoes, one whole cut the other full brogue both retailed at 1510 EUR. I just could rationalize spending nearly 2 grand on RTW, even though they were wonderful looking and distinctive. I decided instead to check out Santoni; I'd been impressed with some of there shoes on display in NY. I wasn't dissapointed, the selection was great and the handmade line was impressive. I decided to play conservative and go with a standard cap toe in black. Price was 380 EUR including trees. The last stop on my visit was to Tod's for some work shoes, I work in a middle market bank that has recently adopted a "business casual" approach that makes me vomit but I'll leave that for another time. I opted for a pair of brown and black penny loafers in slightly different styling. I was dissapointed that they didn't offer shoe trees but got outta of there at 545 EUR for both. Overall, I delightful trip. I kind of wish having left that I sacked it up and bought the Lattazni's but there is always next time. Sorry for the image quality.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pere Michel Restaurant in London was some of the best French cuisine I've ever had in France or the US. Also had tea at Claridges, which was a delightful experience on par but not as beatiful as the Ritz. Rome was a mixed bag, partly because I had never visited. Found a great pizza joint near the Vatican but the name escapes me at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads