• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tried quite some online MTMs

smilence

Reaction score
I'm a n00b to men's fashion but I'm very into it recently, especially after joining this forum.

I'm 5''6 and very skinny(120lbs), so most of time OTR simply doesn't fit, so I turn to MTM. Tried a few recently and here's some feedback:

Trunk Club Custom:

I am a member of their regular program and their custom program did some roadshow 2 months ago to san francisco so I had a try, and ended up spending $2,000 on a blazer, and 4 $300+ dress shirts. I feel that a lot of the mark ups are from operation cost, such as their road show, showroom and branding. I like the styling and fabric of the blazer, but I still feel they are overpriced, by all means it's just MTM with one fitting from my understanding, and it's not a tailor doing the measurement. For the shirt, I'm not impressed by the fabric or the construction. Turnaround time is 6-8 weeks, pretty long. (I asked about the fabric for a $400 shirt, and they said it's Thomas Mason, well, I think I can get from propercloth for less than half the price, with more custom options, and a much quicker turnaround time)

And also all the dress shirts' sleeves turned out to be .5'' short, while the left sleeve length of the blazer is 0.25'' longer than the right.

dress shirt:

Blazer:

Trumaker

Despite the fact no one talks about it here, this is my default go-to option so far, they have a outfitter, which can come onsite for the measurement, show you the fabrics and give advice. The price range is perfect for me, around $100-$200 for a shirt, and $600-$800 for a blazer.

I'm most satisfied with their casual shirts, almost perfect fit in one shot esp the shoulder, and the fabric is very nice and styling as well as the pictures are very accurate on their website (most of the time, I do want to see the shirt on a model). My only complain is that they don't offer mother of pearl button options, which I do want to pair with their higher end dress shirts. Anyway, I got a lot of compliments with their casual shirts.

I ordered two blazers, the first one is grey linen, it's okay, but I'm not very impressed. I'm still waiting for the mosso green (wool).

And now the weird thing, same as the trunk club one, left sleeve is also 0.25'' longer than the right, is that on purpose, sort of watch allowance???

Overall I feel their service (outfitter) can be a plus if you value that, and you would be very surprised at their OTR options too. Their belt and premium chino has become my favourites, although definitely not cheap.

Proper Cloth

Another online MTM shirt shop. I kind of turn to them because they have a lot more fabric options than others, and the price is quite reasonable.The way they build their website and customer service feels more like a legitimate business instead of a family-brew one. The first shirts comes in, the shoulder runs 0.5'' wide and their customer service quickly respond with professional advice given my photos, and they just sent out the two new shirts, even before I ship out the original one. I'm very satisfied with the 2nd batch of shirts, the denim shirt definitely feels worth the price than any OTR shirt I've tried (bonobos, theory, jcrew etc).

I haven't received my shirts from Spier&Mackay or Luxire yet, but will try to update the post when they get here.

andrewmrsid

Reaction score
Is that your normal posture? In the photos you have a erect posture (arms back, chest out, back straight) that is certainly not reflected in the jackets causing multiple significant fit issues. It's difficult for me to see much in the shirts, but when you look at the slope of your shoulders vs. The jacket and the posture both are really far off. Good luck as you work on finding the right maker.

smilence

Reaction score
Is that your normal posture? In the photos you have a erect posture (arms back, chest out, back straight) that is certainly not reflected in the jackets causing multiple significant fit issues. It's difficult for me to see much in the shirts, but when you look at the slope of your shoulders vs. The jacket and the posture both are really far off. Good luck as you work on finding the right maker.

For the slope of the shoulders, I feel it's more of the problem when taking the photo, seems the photo is not level with ground. and the last 3 photos, I feel the standing posture is not natural when I take the photo.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thx. Do you mind specifying why and name a few?

Well I'm going to take the "buy a man a fish/teach a man to fish" route.

Before you can decide where to buy, you need to know what you are looking to buy. What are the purpose of the shirts/jackets you are buying? Business or casual? If business, what type of industry? A large law firm will dress differently then a social media firm. If casual, are you looking to wear mostly "nightlife" type clothing? What does your current wardrobe look like in terms of colors and items (number of jackets etc) and what do you wear day to day?

Given your build, what look do you think best compliments you? Do you want to emphasize your thin frame or do you want to add a bit of "bulk"? What styles/brands do you see that you like?

These are a few questions that will help you choose the right fabrics/styles for you. There are more. Once you get that, then it's on to who makes this for you. More questions there, like, what is your price range? What is your need for fittings (are you hard to fit OTR), what OTR brands do you like stylistically and that you think fit you well? Do you have any time constraints?

These are just a few off the top of my head, as you get answers to these questions, it will help you narrow down what makers or OTR brands will fit your needs. Then there are other questions to ask once you narrow down some makers. Then once you have someone to use, just get 1 item first and go from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads