• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trickers calf > Alden calf

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
This my observation. My Trickers boots have, IMO, much better quality calf than my Alden calf boots. Softer, seemingly thicker, better pigmentation, just a better feel. Any thoughts about this? Why are Trickers not as widely accepted as Alden on SF?

scourage

Reaction score
not an expert at all, but the boots I bought (and returned cause of fit) from STP were super nice. Really soft but solid leather and they even smelt great. Sad my feet were too wide.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
My guess is because their signature line is their country styles which are less represented here. Love my Trickers boots, btw.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think trickers is better made all around. My stows from 2006 are made *perfectly*, not a stitch out of place, the right shoe is exactly like my left.

Alden has some iconic styles though. thats their thing

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I think trickers is better made all around. My stows from 2006 are made *perfectly*, not a stitch out of place, the right shoe is exactly like my left. Alden has some iconic styles though. thats their thing
+1. IMHO Trickers are better made using better materials. Too bad Trickers in shell are rare.....

sellahi22

Reaction score
I have found Alden calf to be very rigid and uncomfortable. My alden shoes fit well but feel like metal armor after a few hours.

The best calf that I have worn are in the JM Weston 180 loafers - soft, buttery, and comfortable after a long day of walking. The C&J calf is somewhere in between but closer to the Weston.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I think trickers is better made all around. My stows from 2006 are made *perfectly*, not a stitch out of place, the right shoe is exactly like my left.
Having two left shoes isn't a problem for you?
tongue.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first experience with trickers has been awesome, i received the shoe, wore it the same day, no sores or blisters, very little break in period imo. The STP trickers made it a no brainer for me to buy another pair. They are definitely an awesome casual shoe, dont think their size would work well with a suit but who knows.
The Bureau has plenty for sale, as does shoehealer. I think i will eventually get a custom made pair from the shoehealer.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
This my observation. My Trickers boots have, IMO, much better quality calf than my Alden calf boots. Softer, seemingly thicker, better pigmentation, just a better feel. Any thoughts about this? Why are Trickers not as widely accepted as Alden on SF?

Ive been banging on about this since i joined here, Trickers are probably the MOST underrated brand here. They arent just better quality than Alden they are arguably better quality than quite a few English brands especially in the country boot and shoe category. Some of the sleeker last oxfords also stack up very well, if not better than, the SF darling C&J.

Welcome to the Trickers Moo i also have a few of their boots, they'll probably see you out
smile.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Ive been banging on about this since i joined here, Trickers are probably the MOST underrated brand here. They arent just better quality than Alden they are arguably better quality than quite a few English brands especially in the country boot and shoe category. Some of the sleeker last oxfords also stack up very well, if not better than, the SF darling C&J.

Welcome to the Trickers Moo i also have a few of their boots, they'll probably see you out
smile.gif

+1

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's are a good honest company who do what they do very well. It's refreshing to see them not attempting to go 'handgrade' in the current shoe arms (legs?) race a la G&G, AS, C&J amongst others. They get a lot of respect from me for just sticking to their guns and making shoes for the honest shoe enthusiast. My Tricker's black oxfords get more compliments than my C&J's.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Ive been banging on about this since i joined here, Trickers are probably the MOST underrated brand here. They arent just better quality than Alden they are arguably better quality than quite a few English brands especially in the country boot and shoe category. Some of the sleeker last oxfords also stack up very well, if not better than, the SF darling C&J. Welcome to the Trickers Moo i also have a few of their boots, they'll probably see you out
smile.gif

I wish they would re-do their crap website and shoe catalogue. The website is their shop window on the world, and the catalogue is their 'London A-Z'. The thing you read in the bath, tuck in your travel bag or consult at lunchtimes. To be honest, Shoehealer and e-bay are doing their marketing for them. If the catalogue was half-decent the pictures would be bigger, they'd separate out shoes available in-store from MTO (MTO could go into an MTO catalogue) and they'd show toe shapes and soles (make the most of channelled leather soles). Tricker's will lag behind the other makers if they don't do this. Pity really as their business shoes are very nice - modern, slim last (4537) and a more traditional last (6038L), which is a tad sleeker than EG's 202. Quality wise, I had an MTO Epsom in burgundy made a few months back and that was streaks ahead of C&J's Finsbury, its price-point equivalent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads