• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trend Custom Tailors in Toronto

Starguitar

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a mid grey suit made up and I've heard thatTrend Custom Tailors in Toronto offers a made to measure program starting at $750, which is about the same as a bottom end Coppley made to measure sale at Harry Rosen. I've had a couple of suits made from Harry Rosen before, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the fabric selections I've seen so I'm looking to try something new. Does anybody have any experience with them or could provide additional information? Help is appreciated.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Starguitar
I'm looking at getting a mid grey suit made up and I've heard thatTrend Custom Tailors in Toronto offers a made to measure program starting at $75, which is about the same as a bottom end Coppley made to measure sale at Harry Rosen. I've had a couple of suits made from Harry Rosen before, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the fabric selections I've seen so I'm looking to try something new. Does anybody have any experience with them or could provide additional information? Help is appreciated.

$75? or $750?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He probably means the latter.

The price sounds reasonable but I'm assuming it's for a basic suit and that better fabric, canvassing, working buttonholes, etc. and all the other details we SFers love will probably run extra? I think the best thing to do is to go into town and check it out. I would do it myself, but it would be, like "hey, I'm 20, a student, and can't afford your suits just yet... can you help me out?"

gj555

Reaction score
I have never used them but let us know how it goes. I have been to other tailors in Toronto and am always looking for new places to try. Do you know the quality or level of detail for the suit in that price range?

Starguitar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
I have never used them but let us know how it goes. I have been to other tailors in Toronto and am always looking for new places to try. Do you know the quality or level of detail for the suit in that price range?

http://www.trendtailors.com/

Well here's the website. I remember reading about them on these boards a year or two ago, so I was hoping to get some additional info. I'm definitely planning on checking them out so I'll keep you posted.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post here.

Don Lee is the young proprietor and he is a good guy and very expert. I can't comment on the price of $750 mentioned here - that sort of thing is fabric choice dependent. I had a dark blue navy 2 button side vent made up in the English style. The process involved the initial measurement appointment, followed by a basted fitting and another fitting when the suit was nearly done. I am impossible to fit OTR (wide hips, large butt, little pot belly, small chest and sloping narrow shoulders, thick neck and I'm only 5'6" - a bit of a physical nightmare I am
confused.gif
). I've received many compliments on this suit and the way it looks and fits (very Savile Row; which was the intended effect). The suit lapels have barely visible hand pick stitching, done by Don himself. The suit actually makes me look athletic; hard to believe, but there you go.

In the past I went MTM but it was Holt Renfrew MTM which was quite pricey I thought.

I also had 3 shirts done up by Don. 'Rosa' is his good looking shirtmaker. The measurements were done awfully quickly I thought, but he did have my suit to 'go by'. The shirts have nice details - such as thick buttons - shank sewn, contrasting collar and cuff linings (you get to choose what colour). Shirts have also received compliments. I have 3 more on order.

While I was in his offices, the clientle that came and went - picking up their suits - seemed to be mostly in the 30-ish age category, like the owner himself.

-Jeff

Mustapha

Reaction score
All prices in CDN$ of course.

I might add that Don is good at 'figuring you out' quite quickly. My first 3 shirts are of the 'peacocking' variety - as someone else termed it on this forum recently - that's what I wanted. I mentioned when picking up my shirts that I couldn't wear these to the office - younger co-workers not being appreciative seeing older associates swanning around in obviously tailored stuff.

Don picked up on this and on my next visit showed me some more subdued shirtings.

One of his shirt 'signatures' is a panel of fabric with Chinese characters sewn into the underside collar back. Seen only when you 'pop' the collar.

His suit 'signature' is a curved chest pocket opening. Shows more pocket puff ...

-Jeff

gj555

Reaction score
Just a couple of quick additional questions...
Are the button holes on the jacket hand sewn or machined?
Is the canvass attached to the lapels by hand or by machine?

Mustapha

Reaction score
my suit is at home. Let me have a look. It's getting busy here at work and I may be gone for a few days. I had some time to kill this afternoon so it looks like I live here
smile.gif

All the best,

Jeff

gj555

Reaction score
No problem.

While you should be able to tell if the holes are hand sewn by looking at your jacket, the only way you will know if the inside of the lapels are sewn by hand or machine would be to examine the stitches attaching the canvas to the lapels during the fittings when the suit is under construction.

Starguitar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff Low
Hello everyone, my first post here.

Don Lee is the young proprietor and he is a good guy and very expert. I can't comment on the price of $750 mentioned here - that sort of thing is fabric choice dependent. I had a dark blue navy 2 button side vent made up in the English style.
-Jeff

Jeff, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking at getting. As I'm in my mid 20s myself, I don't plan on going all out with the fabric. How much did you pay for your suit, and what was the fabric selection like?

Mustapha

Reaction score
-- machine made buttonholes on the suit.

-- $950 for MY suit. Your mileage may vary.

-- fabric selection? - Don has a 10 X 20 room lined on 2 sides with shelves full of mostly dark suitings.

Ciao,

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads