• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling with nice suits tomorrow - need a luggage solution

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
What do you mean by a hardshell garment piece?

Could you please give some examples? Thanks.

-LR

I mean a rolling garment bag, hardshell in the sense that it has a structural frame rather than just being a soft bag. All luggage stores should have them. I believe this is the one I own, by Pathfinder:

PFN1038_l.jpg

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I mean a rolling garment bag, hardshell in the sense that it has a structural frame rather than just being a soft bag. All luggage stores should have them. I believe this is the one I own, by Pathfinder:

PFN1038_l.jpg

Thanks. I just was confused by the use of hard shell in the post. Thank you for clarifying.

-LR

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
+1 on the recommendation for the Tumi 22" roller.

Also, there's a real art to packing suits so they're not too badly wrinkled when you arrive. I'm sure someone has a thread about it, but I'm too lazy to look.

What exact model is the Tumi 22" roller? I am on the Tumi site and there 95 results for Domestic Carry-On bags.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have a 22" inch Tumi, and recommend it, but I rarely use it because I have an 18" inch hard case that I can fit under most seats, if necessary. For short stays the 18" inch works well, and I have an Eagle Creek envelope for folding my suits in it.

Unless you visit LHR (London Heathrow) and have to check it when you return due to the UK size allowance being slightly less. If you ever travel international and want a universal carry on - go for the 20" -- not 22". (22" is fine for domestic U.S. carry on.)

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Check the outlets for a sale for a better deal.

Muy expensive for the occasional business traveler. Any cheap chinese knock-offs?
smile.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the current $99 22" at costco is likely to be made at Tumi outsourcing factories. it's practically identical.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Exactly. I never understood the garment bag, especially one that has to be checked. I fly at least two round trips/month and have used a 22" rolling tumi for every trip from 1-5 nights. I often have two suits (or a suit and a SC) and accompanying business & casual attire. I fold suits & shirts and use an eagle creek packing 'envelope'.

i am amazed you can fit 2 suits and everything else you need into your tumi. i can't and end up wearing one of the suits and packing the other one. even though i'd rather pack both. but then - i do pack other space-consuming things like tennis shoes.

alebrady

Reaction score
you guys must know better tricks than i do for packing a roll-on.

for a 4 day trip, I basically need at least 2 suits, 2 pairs of dress shoes, 1 pair of running shoes, dress shirts, undershirts, dress socks, workout clothes, workout socks, casual pants/shirt...even if i wear the suit and 1 pair of shoes, the other two pairs take a significant amount of space in the bag.

how many shoes are you guys bringing? it cant be 3 - and if not 3 do you just not workout on the road or do you not change your dress shoes at least every 24 hours?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tennis shoes AND 2 pairs of dress shoes for 4 days? excessive.

traveling requires compromises. 24 hour shoe rotation and 3lb spring-loaded cedar shoe trees are things I give up.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

traveling requires compromises. 24 hour shoe rotation and 3lb spring-loaded cedar shoe trees are things I give up.

You keep talking like that and you may get your iGent card revoked.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
how many shoes are you guys bringing? it cant be 3 - and if not 3 do you just not workout on the road or do you not change your dress shoes at least every 24 hours?
tennis shoes AND 2 pairs of dress shoes for 4 days? excessive. traveling requires compromises. 24 hour shoe rotation and 3lb spring-loaded cedar shoe trees are things I give up.
Shoes are the biggest space killer in a suitcase. Like pebblegrain indicated above, one has to make compromises. For me that often means just one pair of dress shoes for a 2-3 night trip. Where we differ is that I won't go without shoe trees, especially since I don't rotate dress shoes during these short trips. For sneakers, ultra lightweight running shoes. I've grown very fond of Nike Zoom Moire running shoes. They are super light and almost pack flat. One pair of lightweight synthetic shorts/tee shirt take up virtually no space. I need three pair of shoes total and I'm wearing one, so I only have to pack two in the 22" suitcase. If I need casual shoes, I go with driving loafers/mocs. They pack virtually flat as well, less flat with shoe trees however. For the longer, four day trip, I have to give up either sneakers or the casual shoes. My last 22" roller suitcase was the Eagle Creek Tarmac 22". It's pretty old but held up like a champ. My wife still uses it. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr.../dp/B001M0NVQW I fell hard for eagle creek's marketing campaign a few yrs back. I love their packing organizers, folder envelopes, cubes and waterproof bags. Now there are plenty of competitors in that packing marketplace so you can save a bundle. An 18" Pack-It Folder will hold up to four shirts and two suits. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr...ref=pd_sbs_a_1
pack-it-18.jpg
I use a large Pack-It Sac for dirty laundry and another medium sac as a dopp kit. They are waterproof-ish. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr...7149528&sr=1-2
pack-it-sac-lg.jpg
One of these cubes holds three rolled ties:
pack-it-cube.jpg
Lastly, I use a small padded cube to hold all my electronic chargers and a Garmin GPS if I need to rent a car for the week.

alebrady

Reaction score

yeah, i guess ill have to keep checking - no way i am wearing one pair of dress shoes 4 days straight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads