• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to San Francisco

dandywarhol

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I'm a swiss exchange student that has now been living in Pittsburgh, PA for almost 9 months... This summer I'm going to SF for a week by myself and am wondering what you guys as advocats of appreciation of style and culture could recommend me to go see there. SF seems to be quite different from the east coast from what I heard...

any ideas?

phooi

Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would say that SF is in fact the most Eastern-like city west of the Mississippi. There's no shortage of cultural ameneties. I have always enjoyed the California Palace the Legion of Honor the most. The building and setting are incomparable. The collection does not compare to a great East Coast museum or the Getty down south, but it's still interesting.

Otherwise, what kinds of things do you want to see?

dandywarhol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Otherwise, what kinds of things do you want to see?

is there anything to see in Haight-Ashbury anymore today?

and... as it looks i'm probably gonna be alone there... maybe some place where i have/am invited to deal with people?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The Haight part open-air 60s museum, part university town without a university. Lots of tatoo parlors and headshops and secondhand record stores. Tons of pierced/tatted/bizarrely shaved street punks on ever corner. Not for everyone. Supposedly it's gentrified somewhat -- certainly the homes are expensive; there are no deals in SF. But the area retains an irreducible grime.

Stax

Reaction score
Bring a jacket. Summer doesn't start until September.

dandywarhol

Reaction score
The Haight part open-air 60s museum, part university town without a university. Lots of tatoo parlors and headshops and secondhand record stores. Tons of pierced/tatted/bizarrely shaved street punks on ever corner. Not for everyone. Supposedly it's gentrified somewhat -- certainly the homes are expensive; there are no deals in SF. But the area retains an irreducible grime.

ooo kehh
rather not going there then

hey... are there any funny transvestite shows or anything like that to go see? i just heard today that there is a big homosexuals scene in sf

Brian SD

Reaction score
If your name gives any suggestion as to your personality and interests, you absolutely must go to Haight Ashbury. Amoeba records, some cool clothing shops in line with what we wear in the S&D forum, Fat Slice pizza, Giant Robot, Kid Robot, and a good amount of people-watching.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dandywarhol
ooo kehh rather not going there then hey... are there any funny transvestite shows or anything like that to go see? i just heard today that there is a big homosexuals scene in sf
you just heard that today? there used to be one at Finocchio in North Beach, but I think it has since closed. I am sure that you can find one if you contact a neighborhood center in the Castro. If you are really into ******* rather than just to laugh, I believe that there is a transvestite bar called Diva in the Tenderloin. At least there used to be. edit: I just thought of two more ****** shows I had heard of. One is Aunty Charlie's which is a cabaret and the other is AsiaSF which is a restaurant where all of the waiters are transvestites. I have never been to either but would imagine that the first is pretty hard core and I know that the second is a pretty normal scene and a reasonably popular restaurant.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I know the transsexual scene used to be down in the Tenderloin but then that was the '60s so who knows what it is now.

The Tenerloin? A dangerous, drug infested slum. Virtually the only honest people are the Vietnamese who run the bodegas, and that is dangerous work. Talk to a cop from the Eddy Street station and he will make your hair stand on end.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Tenerloin? A dangerous, drug infested slum. Virtually the only honest people are the Vietnamese who run the bodegas, and that is dangerous work. Talk to a cop from the Eddy Street station and he will make your hair stand on end.
Haven't you ever been to Mitchell Brothers. Those women do honest work for their dollar. LK- The Tenderloin is still the home of ******* and the "dirtier" gay culture as opposed to the Castro which is very much a gay family neighborhood.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dandywarhol
ooo kehh
rather not going there then

hey... are there any funny transvestite shows or anything like that to go see? i just heard today that there is a big homosexuals scene in sf

Reportedly the bus kiosks are worth checking out.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Haven't you ever been to Mitchell Brothers. Those women do honest work for their dollar.

I have not. But a guy who lived on my dorm floor my first year of college was a devotee. He used to tell us all about it, and also complain about how expensive it was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads