• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
All joking aside, you are pretty good Metro.

That's not what your mom said last night.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I wish my mechanics were even 1/100th of this, even if a linguistics prof could chew it up, and even if you're entirely wrong.

It's a lot simpler once the basic rules are understood. It just sounds complicated because it's hard to follow without knowing the nomenclature or the processes they refer to.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
They seemed "off" to me, or suspicious.

Me too, but there are patterns which are created either artifically through online translators or truly through understanding the grammars but not the idiomatic differences.

He also seems to have a "meme-literacy" (for lack of a better word) far out of whack with his writing competency. One might say he's just copying them, but they seem largely to be used correctly, in the right places, while the grammar or words around them are not. That's also a bit fishy, because despite his L1 or his competency therein, that kind of metalinguistic awareness won't come with somebody who is still at the level of "you must to vote."
lol8[1].gif

It sounds 'fishy', but most of the memes aren't structurally different from some of his mistranslations. Look at this post:

Originally Posted by hws
Poast moar possibility hier!

He uses the memes of intentional mispellings in 'poast' and 'moar', then uses 'hier' from German. Phonetically, there are no 'memes'. It's phonetically identical to 'Post more possibility here'.

Originally Posted by hws
There is much possibility!

Again, he misuses the idiomatic phrase 'there is' (Italian 'c'è', German 'Es gibt') by not conjugating the verb correctly for number (he keeps it singular). It corresponds with the singular 'possibility'. 'Much' and 'many' are both the same morphological and phonological stem in other languages ('molto', 'mucho', whatever it is in Romanian, etc.), so he keeps saying 'much' when he should be saying 'many' due to keeping everything singular; English uses a different stem to denote number, whereas Romance languages do not, so a direct translation will probably default to the singular 'much' and cause his common mistake.

Originally Posted by hws
Is not vague!

This is another common mistake he makes: eliding the subject of the conjugated verb. In German and English, the subject isn't elided. This means unless he has knowledge to replicate these mistakes foreign speakers sometimes make, my guess is that his base language is French or Italian. It corresponds well with his trouble translating grammatical number into English since it's so irregular.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It sounds 'fishy', but most of the memes aren't structurally different from some of his mistranslations. Look at this post:
That's a good point... and I didn't think of that. I guess what got me was the metalinguistic function of the meme, or the misspelling (not just "poast" here but some others he used) seemed to require a higher awareness than his following writing would suggest. While metalinguistic awareness (which, for other readers on the thread who may not know, is sort of "thinking about language as language" beyond just using it) is often related to competency or awareness in L1, rather than specifically L2, nevertheless how could you "get" why "poast" or "moar" might be funny in English but then use German "hier?" Unless, of course, you're a Gypsy!!!1!!111!
his base language is French.
Imagine yourself kissed at the New Year's Party... "I knew it was you, ed!"

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
his base language is French.

That would be my guess, since his longest phrases in a foreign language are French (was just about to post that! stop ruining my exposès!).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You can borrow one of mine.

I can't believe that you've racked up over 4000 posts since you breached 20000.

I assume most of these are in the muffguessing thread.

- B

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good point... and I didn't think of that. I guess what got me was the metalinguistic function of the meme, or the misspelling (not just "poast" here but some others he used) seemed to require a higher metalinguistic awareness than his following writing would suggest. While metalinguistic awareness is often related to competency or awareness in L1, rather than specifically L2, nevertheless how could you "get" why "poast" or "moar" might be funny in English but then use German "hier?"

I don't know if he thinks it's funny or not, but 'poast' and 'moar' are just mimetic. He sees it a lot, so he uses it.

My guess is he lives around Lyon or something. That's hard to pinpoint based on Internet posts though (would need to hear him talk, and even then that only tells of his origin).

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I heard the CIA changed their IP address to kill Kennedy

Master Po

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Come on, you don't seriously believe people go through that trouble do you?

Why question what you read when you can read and learn? Remember: the way to Heaven is a path of ricepaper.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Po
Why question what you read when you can read and learn? Remember: the way to Heaven is a path of ricepaper.

Uhhh... **** that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads