• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transitioning from College to Business Casual

oov

Reaction score
So I just graduated from college and am going to be heading off to work at a consulting firm. Attire there is business casual. I already do have a bunch of random dress shirts (Jos A Bank, Express, DKNY, BB, etc.), but I'm really missing some key components. I'm about 5' 11" and 155 lbs, if that helps any bit.

As for pants, I was wondering if dark colored (charcoal, grey, etc. - no black) chinos were appropriate to wear for a business casual environment. I was looking into brands like Banana Republic, Gap, J. Crew, & Express. You guys have any recommendations for lower priced pants that are pretty slim fit? Or would it be better if I went ahead and went with wool type dress pants?

For shoes, I was looking into getting the Florsheim Medici's and I think I'm able to pick those up for around $60, which I think is a pretty good deal. What are your thoughts on those?

Lastly, I wear glasses like these. Sort of thick rimmed, black, and fairly small. But I was looking around, and I noticed that the larger framed thick rimmed glasses were coming back into fashion (kinda, ex. Kid Cudi). What are your thoughts on pairing business casual with these? The guy in the picture looks like he's pulling those glasses off fairly well. Any thoughts?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please for the love of God do not get those shoes. Look around the forum a bit more and all your questions will be answered
smile.gif

Honestly, you may hear some sound advice in response to your question, but it would probably be in your interest to merely peruse this board and develop your own answers to your question. I do not mean to be rude, but I am rather suggesting that it is important to develop your own sense of style, and not merely follow the words of a bunch of people on the interwebz.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Please for the love of God do not get those shoes. Look around the forum a bit more and all your questions will be answered
smile.gif

Honestly, you may hear some sound advice in response to your question, but it would probably be in your interest to merely peruse this board and develop your own answers to your question. I do not mean to be rude, but I am rather suggesting that it is important to develop your own sense of style, and not merely follow the words of a bunch of people on the interwebz.

Seconded on both counts. Those shoes aren't nice.

I wouldn't take other forum members' style suggestions as end alls because it's you who has to wear the clothes. Not to mention, if WAYW is any indication, a lot of the guys here probably get laughed at behind their backs for some of the things that they step outside in.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
Business casual is blasphemy.

But if its what your office does and its your first job out of college...you do it.

Figure out how to make it look good (most people don't).

In my office the only people who constantly wear suits are people who were around before the business casual change (and there are like...2 of them left).

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Not to mention, if WAYW is any indication, a lot of the guys here probably get laughed at behind their backs for some of the things that they step outside in.

I second this. People wear something pretty out there and foppish and comment they got numerous compliments on it. I have always felt these compliments are veiled snickers of either it not looking good or being inappropriate for the occasion.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
But if its what your office does and its your first job out of college...you do it.

Figure out how to make it look good (most people don't).

The problem is it seems almost impossible to make it look good unless you wear a jacket. And usually that is too business for business casual (I realize it means different things at different offices. Most people on here usually do not have much of a problem getting dressed, and business casual is tough for me to wrap my head around. What do you wear besides slacks and a shirt with no tie?

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
What do you wear besides slacks and a shirt with no tie?

If you can't make that look good, then you have poor fitting cloths or should probably be in better shape.

Oleg

Reaction score
Those shoes are monstrous, I'm afraid.
I don't really get business casual, maself but what does one do when it gets colder - presumably stick on a blazer or sports coat? If so, is that still business casual?
Working in a university, where the only people regularly sporting suits are admin folk from the chancelry (and who are almost certainly not to be trusted), and where an academic dressed too smartly is usually considered to be on the make (yep, I am on the make, folks), I genuinely don't have a clue. It's simply not something I've had to grapple with.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Responding to 2 posts up:

Yes, because I have been a member here since 06 and have 900 posts because I do not understand fit. It is a pretty plain look that is hard to express style in. I think.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Responding to 2 posts up:

Yes, because I have been a member here since 06 and have 900 posts because I do not understand fit. It is a pretty plain look that is hard to express style in. I think.

Quantity of posts has nothing to do with real life execution.

Trousers and a shirt if done correctly can be a great look. Its not really about expressing style all pf the time. Its about looking good in your clothing.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well fitting shirts and pants help a lot...

You can work in jackets...certainly if you wear them to the office and take them off to hang by your desk (it seems like most suit wearers do this anyways if they aren't going to a meeting or outside).

Also depending on the level of casual, you might be able to work out some fits closer to the SW&D side of the forum. I can do this in my office as it seems you meet the code as long as your pants aren't blue denim and your shirt has some sort of collar (or you have a sweater). Pants with a crease and a crisp dress shirt are not the only options.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes are not the loveliest, but honestly not quite as bad as everyone is making out. If you only need business casual why not go for a classic penny loafer? At least in the UK they are becoming acceptable with the more street wear inclined types at the moment so it might be quite a versatile shoe for a young guy.

You seem to have the right idea about the trousers, some chinos for more casual and hotter weather, although I would stick to lighter colours here myself, and some wool ones for when you need to be smarter and cold weather, these are probably where you want your charcoal etc.
Can't recommend specific US trouser brands for fit.

You should probably pick up a blue blazer although maybe avoid the classic gold buttons unless you spend a lot of time hanging at the yacht club.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
My point about business casual being blasphemy wasn't that one should always wear a suit to the office. "Business casual" connotes a specific look, not necessarily "casual looks for a business environment." It connotes pleated khakis, golf shirts and an overall aversion to anything approaching individuality and personal style. There are definitely lots of ways to look nice at work without wearing a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads