• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
people tend to be trotting out the really hyped restaurants at the highest end of the price spectrum.
Which is why I'm surprised nobody mentioned Splendido. If you crave top notch service, ambiance and food, with a bill to match...book a table, you won't likely be disappointed.

If you want the best uncomplicated lunch affair for under $20 all in...you should definitely go to Gilead Cafe...eat in or take out (you'll never think of poutine the same way again).

TO-RO

Reaction score
Is this what SF is all about? Damn. Just got finished reading through this long ass thread and forgot I clicked on it to read about restaurants. The Toronto hate from a few that was totally unwarranted for this thread is comedic/sad.

A lot of very good restaurants in this city and a few have been mentioned, forget which ones due to the 7 pages or so of off topic riduculousness. For a cheap lunch though, I 2nd the above with Gilead Cafe.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I think JK has the right plan to survive the so-called "crisis", without lowering standards or going bust in the foodie biz...in fact, he's expanding. Sure, the big-ticket places are going to take a hit, as the all-out platinum-card throw-down meals ala American Psycho are on the wane.

Gilead Cafe has all the right ingredients to do very well. Big name behind it...trendoid hidden back alley local in an emerging nabe (Corktown)...fresh, quality local artisinal ingredients, and cheap prices. I mean, for the cost of a supersized fast food meal, you get some damed fine fare.

In fact, this is really just their catering/bakery kitchen that they decided to add the cafe as a side element to keep employees busy and make extra revenue. It also gives it a chance to act as a bit of a test lab for ideas, dishes, ingredients, with plenty of willing & satisfied guinea pigs. The only downside is that it's too successful...try getting a table at lunch.

His newly opened Hank's Cafe is the same...doesn't matter what the economy is like, people will always flock to a quality cafe. He also hired a couple of the city's best barristas to make sure the coffee is top notch, as well as offering the usual cheap, but quality cafe food. Plus, it's right next door to his Wine Bar, so "sharing" infrastructure and ingredients with the higher end big brother next door is a huge plus.

Smart...very smart.

Speaking of which...what ever happened with Mark McEwan's "street food" concept. I thought it was going to be part of the city's new street-cart vending system to up the anti on street food from the handy, but boring hot dog carts?

First, Sotto Sotto on Avenue Road just north of Bloor is fantastic.
Bah...just a see and be seen spot...especially during TIFF (celebrities don't actually love these hot spots...they usually just show up wherever their "handlers" tell them to).

If you want a safe bet in Yorkville, then Greg Couillard's Spice Room & Chutney Bar is a better choice.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Speaking of which...what ever happened with Mark McEwan's "street food" concept. I thought it was going to be part of the city's new street-cart vending system to up the anti on street food from the handy, but boring hot dog carts?

I think it's mired in typical city bureaucratic mess - after all we have the most city councillors in North America.

The other thing I heard is they're finally doling out those permits but those costs are prohibitive (I think it's close to 6 figures all in) and the conditions are pretty crazy. You have to cook the entire thing from your cart, work x hours a day, x days a week and I remember hearing that a lot of has to be *you* doing it and not franchising your cart out for others.

So those people thinking of getting a cheap cart and bringing leftovers from a 60 person pot roast at home every weekend were disappointed.

Somehow I convinced myself to go to Senator the other day for lunch. Soup in a mug, sandwich and tea $20! Yay!

There are only two money pit restaurants I have yet to try - Bymark and Canoe. Somehow every time I set up a date to blow money there it never pans out. I'm thinking on a warmer evening to head over to Riverdale and go to Rasputin (http://www.rasputinvodkabar.com/).

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I've read about the Dim Sum in Toronto, and I'd like to try it one night. Anyone know a good place?

I want to get Iranian food also. I'm eyeing Pomegranate on College Street. Does anyone else have any experiences with Iranian food in TO?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
I've read about the Dim Sum in Toronto, and I'd like to try it one night. Anyone know a good place?

I don't know about Dim Sum at night as it's usually a brunch-type affair but Pearl Harbour down on Queens Quay is a nice spot with good food.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to get Iranian food also. I'm eyeing Pomegranate on College Street. Does anyone else have any experiences with Iranian food in TO?

Do you have a car? There are better places up in Markham for dim sum. Just FYI, dim sum is usually not for evenings - more for brunch.

If you have cash to burn and you want really creative dim sum (read: not good value for your money), try Lai Wah Heen at the Metropolitan hotel.

...Iranian food..err..not too sure. What kind of stuff counts as Iranian food? Falafels and kebobs?

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Do you have a car? There are better places up in Markham for dim sum. Just FYI, dim sum is usually not for evenings - more for brunch.

If you have cash to burn and you want really creative dim sum (read: not good value for your money), try Lai Wah Heen at the Metropolitan hotel.

...Iranian food..err..not too sure. What kind of stuff counts as Iranian food? Falafels and kebobs?

thanks for the info

Yes, I will have a car, but I'd prefer to not drive it too far. We'll be spending most of our time around the downtown area I suppose, but we plan to spend some time in Chinatown.

Lai Wah Heen looks a bit too expensive for me. Is there anything that's tasty and more reasonable? I'd prefer a spot that uses the carts.

Maybe a place in Chnatown where we can get a dim sum lunch?

Iranian food is comprised mostly of stuff like stews, kabobs, and rice dishes with sauce. We're looking for something nicer than a kabob shop though - a sit down place (sofreh?). My travel companion is Iranian, and she's been deprived of good Iranian restaurants for too long in Western NY.

If we're going to do dim sum for lunch, then we'll need another spot for dinner. Are there any good French restaurants where two people can eat (with wine) for under $100 (or less if possible). Are there any hidden gems? Interesting ethnic places?

doink

Reaction score
Iranian food is comprised mostly of stuff like stews, kabobs, and rice dishes with sauce. We're looking for something nicer than a kabob shop though - a sit down place (sofreh?). My travel companion is Iranian, and she's been deprived of good Iranian restaurants for too long in Western NY.
A friend who is from Iran suggests pomegranate on college as well as "north" at yonge and steeles on the north side of the street ( the northern limits of the city). I've eaten at north and it was OK nothing super special, but edible. For dim sum the black pearl on spadina at st andrews is ok, you can't miss it.It is old school with the carts. I at at Gilead a few weeks ago, it was pleasant and as good as past experiences at the wine bar. the folks on chow hound are down on JK lately though so who knows. For a really good dive / low brow place, check out caplansky's deli at the monarch tavern just off of college street. Home smoked meat and really good soups. If smoked meat is not your thing there are a few italian sandwich shops, go there and then grab a pint at the monarch. For interesting ethnic and other foods I'd try the following addis abbaba - ethiopian - queen and gladstone area ali's roti - parkdale area- cheap take out roti, doubles and patties fressen (queen west) for vegan that is really good in a very nice room jumbo empanada for chilean empanada's, in Kensington Market(a must see neighbourhood) el torito - kensington market- for pretty good spanish style tapas Swan (queen west) for comfort style cooking that is pretty good, very simple menu St Lawrence market for breakfast, supposed to have a great back bacon sandwich Definite avoids - anything on king near the theatres

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will have a car, but I'd prefer to not drive it too far. We'll be spending most of our time around the downtown area I suppose, but we plan to spend some time in Chinatown.

Lai Wah Heen looks a bit too expensive for me. Is there anything that's tasty and more reasonable? I'd prefer a spot that uses the carts.

Maybe a place in Chnatown where we can get a dim sum lunch?

Chinatown's pretty decrepit but OK. I mean, I spend almost every weekend there but to be honest I only go there because my grandfather is close to Chinatown. Pearl Harbour is cleaner but farther away (few blocks) from Chinatown since it's along the lakeside inside a mall.

Spadina & St. Andrew, you'd be looking at Bright Pearl (unless a new one opened up, I don't think it's called Black Pearl). Most Chinatown places run a before 10:30 am or something everything is $1.50 each if you're really looking to save money and stuff yourself.

If we're going to do dim sum for lunch, then we'll need another spot for dinner. Are there any good French restaurants where two people can eat (with wine) for under $100 (or less if possible). Are there any hidden gems? Interesting ethnic places?

If you're going to be wandering on foot around Chinatown try Baldwin Village (Baldwin Street in between McCaul and Spadina). Bodega is a French place there - it has fixed price dinner right now (I think $35 + $16 for wine pairings) not sure when you're coming or how long that lasts. And there's a bunch of other European, Indian, Thai, Japanese and Chinese places on that small street. Most are pretty cheap. There's a Mexican hang out place (mostly college kids) but you might already get enough of that coming from the US.

I'd kind of avoid the Chinese places on Baldwin - I grew up eating there but the last time my cousin went there, there were some roach issues (not that that has stopped me before!)

Drawing a blank for Iranian food. Maybe try dine.to, urbanspoon or toronto.com?

racetrack

Reaction score

For a great (imo) Iranian food, try Zaffron in North York (http://www.zaffron.ca/). It is on the higher end of the price scale though.

Also in North York there is Shomal, (http://www.shomalrestaurant.com/).

I'm not familiar with anything downtown though.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Another vote for Gilead Cafe on King East.

For a cheap eat (2 dine for >$30), Biryani House at 15 Hayden St. (Yonge & Bloor, formerly on Roy's Square).

St. Lawrence Market.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
For a cheap eat (2 dine for >$30), Biryani House at 15 Hayden St. (Yonge & Bloor, formerly on Roy's Square).

I've always wondered - is this a franchise? What's the difference between this one and the one on Wellesley or around Dundas?

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Speaking of Italian (or were we? who cares)...any of you guys been to Grazie at Y&E lately?

We used to go there after work on weeknights back in the late 90's, early 2000's. Place was always packed and buzzing...but in a more relaxed, casual way...had just the right combination of casual sophistication, without being too this or that. It also had decent simple Italian food and very personable staff. We would never get a table (too busy anyway), but sit at the bar and order plates of food with our drinks, and chat it up with the interesting people around the bar, which would be anything from 68 year old artists to 25 year old high class Russian hookers.

But that was during the Wallpaper* era, so perhaps we were just all douchebags and didn't know it? ha

How come brunch is the hardest meal to eat out for?

It's the only dine-out craving I really get...dinners at restos are nice, but to tell the truth, I would prefer to stay home and hone my own cooking skills & entertain. I know it's all part of the deal, but I absolutely refuse to line up for brunch. And because of the popularity, you always feel pressured to hurry up and eat and get the fuk out. It seems that there are never any "unknown" places...they are unknown for about 10 minutes...and then boom...giant fuking lineups. I have a couple of decent places in my nabe (Easy & Mitzi's), but it's the same thing. I've seen the lines at the usual places (Aunties and Uncles, Le Petit Dejeuner, Bonjour Brioche, Edward Levesque, Swan) and passed.

So...anybody have any ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads