• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Cobblers

gj555

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Kingsley in Black were my first pair of decent shoes. Purchased them about 13 years ago from Sierratradingpost. About a year after buying them, I had a foot problem and the chiropodist (similar to a podiatrist but less schooling and can't do surgeries) recommended that I put an insole into my dress shoes until the treatment he gave me worked. So, I brought them to a cobbler in downtown Toronto asking for some type of padded insole. Since I needed to fix the heel anyways, he told me to leave the shoes with him and he would fix them. When I went to pick them up, he showed me what he had done. Instead of using an insole, he pulled out the existing permanent and non-removable footbed and replaced it with hot cork and a thin leather covering. This "fix" only lasted about a year before everything peeled away. It also caused my foot to slip a bit and I had to use a heel insert after that. Once everything peeled away, I put a regular insole in and wore them for a few years. But, once the insole broke down, I stopped wearing them and they sat for years.

BLAE1.jpg

This is an old model of AE and not one that I would normally invest money in fixing. I could buy better used AE on ebay for cheaper. However, because these were my first good pair I decided to fix them and keep them rather than throw them out.

So, I brought them to Boris. He was shocked what was done to them but agreed to fix them (I was not expecting miracles). So, here they are. New cork, new midsole, new footbed (from some cowhide), new welt, some other stuff on the insides new that I can't remember, new outsole (this time a French made one) and new heal.

BLAE2.jpg

BLAE3.jpg

BLAE4.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Kingsley in Black were my first pair of decent shoes. Purchased them about 13 years ago from Sierratradingpost. About a year after buying them, I had a foot problem and the chiropodist (similar to a podiatrist but less schooling and can't do surgeries) recommended that I put an insole into my dress shoes until the treatment he gave me worked. So, I brought them to a cobbler in downtown Toronto asking for some type of padded insole. Since I needed to fix the heel anyways, he told me to leave the shoes with him and he would fix them. When I went to pick them up, he showed me what he had done. Instead of using an insole, he pulled out the existing permanent and non-removable footbed and replaced it with hot cork and a thin leather covering. This "fix" only lasted about a year before everything peeled away. It also caused my foot to slip a bit and I had to use a heel insert after that. Once everything peeled away, I put a regular insole in and wore them for a few years. But, once the insole broke down, I stopped wearing them and they sat for years.

View attachment 1013380
This is an old model of AE and not one that I would normally invest money in fixing. I could buy better used AE on ebay for cheaper. However, because these were my first good pair I decided to fix them and keep them rather than throw them out.

So, I brought them to Boris. He was shocked what was done to them but agreed to fix them (I was not expecting miracles). So, here they are. New cork, new midsole, new footbed (from some cowhide), new welt, some other stuff on the insides new that I can't remember, new outsole (this time a French made one) and new heal.

View attachment 1013381

View attachment 1013382

View attachment 1013384

Thanks for the detailed review. I want to try Boris in the future.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ducero

Reaction score
Have you done recrafted with Nick, or anyone else? Reviews?

My Church's need a recraft, and I will likely use B Nelson in NYC. A pair of Dacks might be tested at Boris's in Aurora.

Hi. Just a quick update about Nick's. I had a rubber outsole protector installed on my Alden shells the other day and had a chance to talk to Spiro, the owner at Nick's. This place is totally legitimate in my estimation. I've used him many times now. First, the work was very well done and I'm happy with the results. I also asked him about recrafting. They do use both a Landis K machine (for goodyear welted outsole stitching) and a MacKay (Blake stitcher) machine. For stitching on a new welt, if ever necessary, this is done by hand. Keep in mind that this house builds boots for many motorcycle police forces in Ontario and some in the US. I've seen the finished product and I examined a harness boot that he built and it was nothing short of supreme quality. If you saw that boot then you would not doubt his work. He may not speak to your specific concerns about fashion or dress shoes such as using JR soles or cork filling and such, but he has the right skills and knowledge of a totally legitimate cobbler. He's primarily a boot builder for motorcycle cops. That's his bread and butter. They also rebuild a lot of Blundstone chelsea boots and they do excellent with those. I forgot to ask about the cork filling but with boot crafting I almost always see them using a soft leather piece because it's much more durable and necessary to meet the demands placed on most work boots. Cork deteriorates in harsher conditions. You might need to communicate your specific needs, such as using a countersink channel (they don't do that on workboots) but he definitely knows what he's doing. Anyway, just my two cents. You might consider trying him again if you need a local cobbler.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just a quick update about Nick's. I had a rubber outsole protector installed on my Alden shells the other day and had a chance to talk to Spiro, the owner at Nick's. This place is totally legitimate in my estimation. I've used him many times now. First, the work was very well done and I'm happy with the results. I also asked him about recrafting. They do use both a Landis K machine (for goodyear welted outsole stitching) and a MacKay (Blake stitcher) machine. For stitching on a new welt, if ever necessary, this is done by hand. Keep in mind that this house builds boots for many motorcycle police forces in Ontario and some in the US. I've seen the finished product and I examined a harness boot that he built and it was nothing short of supreme quality. If you saw that boot then you would not doubt his work. He may not speak to your specific concerns about fashion or dress shoes such as using JR soles or cork filling and such, but he has the right skills and knowledge of a totally legitimate cobbler. He's primarily a boot builder for motorcycle cops. That's his bread and butter. They also rebuild a lot of Blundstone chelsea boots and they do excellent with those. I forgot to ask about the cork filling but with boot crafting I almost always see them using a soft leather piece because it's much more durable and necessary to meet the demands placed on most work boots. Cork deteriorates in harsher conditions. You might need to communicate your specific needs, such as using a countersink channel (they don't do that on workboots) but he definitely knows what he's doing. Anyway, just my two cents. You might consider trying him again if you need a local cobbler.

It is not a strictly “fashion or dress shoe” thing to use JR soles or to have the cork removed during a full recraft.

JR soles are used by premium brands like Edward Green and Vass. Even AE offers the option for their shell cordovan line.

Cork is standard for shoes constructed with a Goodyear welt. It is not a fashion or aesthetic part of the shoe.

It is telling when a cobbler has never even heard of JR soles. Not offering it is one thing if the main business is boots. But never heard of it? Wow.

And not answering my question about replacing the cork? Again, pretty basic repair issue.

I have seen his work on a few pairs of my friend’s shoes. The outsole stitch was not inside of a grooved channel so it wore away quickly.

The 3 cobblers I like have won awards at international competitions where they compete against other cobblers from around the world. They all use JR soles and replaced the cork as part of the recraft.

Making boots for police does not impress me one bit.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying out Coakleys in London. They were recommended by Matthew Dacks when I inquired about a rebuild service.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
This is a before and after from Timeless Shoe Repair.
I can’t say enough about how comfortable these boots are now. New cork and outsoles do make a huge difference.
On the other hand, I have a pair of RM Williams chelsea boots to be resoled. I called the Australian Boot Company and they get Nick’s to do the work for $135, using original RM WillIams sole and heels. I am quite hesitant given all the reviews here.

Attachments

• 5E4C28E5-163C-4105-AF45-FA3967B8EF01.jpeg
    5E4C28E5-163C-4105-AF45-FA3967B8EF01.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 3E29D6EB-400D-4710-AD9A-391BFE5D6912.jpeg
    3E29D6EB-400D-4710-AD9A-391BFE5D6912.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DC44CC59-C8D6-4527-8827-68AE62E5843B.jpeg
    DC44CC59-C8D6-4527-8827-68AE62E5843B.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 62218012-987E-4BD0-9973-91C314D40E2E.jpeg
    62218012-987E-4BD0-9973-91C314D40E2E.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 243F3E31-C346-4613-A4FD-293C3CFC204B.jpeg
    243F3E31-C346-4613-A4FD-293C3CFC204B.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 22
  • 668306ED-7AE0-4F99-AE0D-F52F51A23E43.jpeg
    668306ED-7AE0-4F99-AE0D-F52F51A23E43.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 09D8CAE3-A077-4243-8616-57E896670679.jpeg
    09D8CAE3-A077-4243-8616-57E896670679.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 28
  • B3210B4F-1F8D-455D-8535-8F87F7591F8A.jpeg
    B3210B4F-1F8D-455D-8535-8F87F7591F8A.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 31

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a before and after from Timeless Shoe Repair.
I can’t say enough about how comfortable these boots are now. New cork and outsoles do make a huge difference.
On the other hand, I have a pair of RM Williams chelsea boots to be resoled. I called the Australian Boot Company and they get Nick’s to do the work for $135, using original RM WillIams sole and heels. I am quite hesitant given all the reviews here.

Great work by Martin! I really like his work.

You can always send your RM Williams to Martin as well. Or try Corey Hiltz in Barrie (Fix em up shoe repair). He won silver at this year's SSIA competition.

How did you find out about Martin in Thunder Bay?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Through you. Thanks.

I am trying Gary Coakley in London right now. His work is also pretty amazing.

We have a lot of talented cobblers in Canada. They are just spread out everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads