• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topy/Vibrams on just the very toe?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was brought up in the "sole guard" thread, and I think its an interesting point.

I tend to wear the toes of my soles out quicker than the rest.

Since it seems topys wear quite well, would it be possible to just have a topy installed on the first inch or so of the sole at the toe?

Seems like this would slow the wear without the ugliness of taps, or the invasiveness of flush metal taps.

Any thoughts on this?

I would use Minas on wall for the work, but haven't had a chance to go see him about it.

Thanks for the insight.

Macallan

Reaction score
You should consider 'taps', I got toe-taps for two oxfords (work shoes) and have noticed the benefit. I was not sure myself initially (they did seem odd) but my mind has been changed (no one notices them at work) and in the future all resoled shoes will be requested with taps (ideally sunken taps).

Having Topy added to just a small part of the sole, will result in an inbalance that i. may not be nice to wear and ii. make the shoes look odd. If you want to go down the Topy route, then get the whole front half of the sole covered.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The metal taps look horrible to me, especially when raised from the surface. flush taps are fine, but they require quite a bit of grinding of the sole, which I don't love the idea of.

From what I've read, a topy has a thickness of only 1/16 or 1/8", and since its just on the very tip of the shoe, I can't imagine it throwing off the balance dramatically.

Anyone else have a view here?

viator

Reaction score
I can't imagine how it would throw the balance off any more than a standard, non-flush mounted tap would. And since the non-flush mounted taps tend to fall out or get caught on things and pulled out, it might even be preferable.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut tacks from the hardware store, cut 'em a little shorter at an angle to maintain a point, and hammer them into the toe.

Same effect as a metal tap, with a lot less fuss. Occasionally one will fall out, but it's rare, and a box of 100 tacks costs all of $3.

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
any more useful views?

Why not get some thin crepe rubber and give it a try on an older pair?

the main issue isn't balance so much as any elevation under the toes you must "step" up onto. Like a negative heel shoe, takes a bit of effort to climb up.

If you carry a top lift behind the ball, and a top lift on the heel, then the balance between the heel and forefoot stays the same.

Pay attention to what wears, you might just walk funny.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tough to find the correct product to do this one's self.

I figure if its just the very top of the toe, there shouldn't be much to "step onto" but its certainly something to consider.

tgt465

Reaction score
My cobbler has tried to talk me into having him put Vibram on the toes instead of non-flush taps. I imagine he makes a bit more profit on this ($12 versus $4), plus it seems like it would be less labor for him, so I don't really know if his advice is driven by self-interest, but there may be something in this. However I can't imagine this being significantly better looking than a regular tap, and I think a tap would be harder-wearing.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
IIRC one suggestion from DWFII, I think that's how it's spelled, is to take the poly-urethane toe taps and basically cement them on the toes. I believe his preference is vibram on the tips though. I personally don't like metal taps as I don't like nails invading my soles and getting near the welt. I either get the tips redone, or what I've been doing more recently is getting a vibram sole put on my shoes
devil.gif

pgd3

Reaction score
tough to find the correct product to do this one's self.

I figure if its just the very top of the toe, there shouldn't be much to "step onto" but its certainly something to consider.

Not too,

Try I Sachs and Sons out of chicago, while on the phone with them order glue, material, and ask for suggestions.

I'm spoiled since I work in an industry that does work with the same materials, and have a shoe problem.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
My cobbler has tried to talk me into having him put Vibram on the toes instead of non-flush taps. I imagine he makes a bit more profit on this ($12 versus $4), plus it seems like it would be less labor for him, so I don't really know if his advice is driven by self-interest, but there may be something in this. However I can't imagine this being significantly better looking than a regular tap, and I think a tap would be harder-wearing.
Certainly more work to put a vibram toe on a shoe than a flush mounted plate. And yes, you'll be able to see it from the bottom (as surely as you will see a metal toe plate). But if the repairman knows what he's doing you won't see it from the side...unlike a plate or a sole guard--tip or half overlay. A vibram toe will not damage the welt, inseam or insole...a possibility that approaches certainty with any kind of nailed on toe protection. And depending on what surface you walk on, the vibram toe can wear better than metal.

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Certainly more work to put a vibram toe on a shoe than a flush mounted plate.

This comment made me curious. I thought Vibram was simply installed by sanding/roughing up the sole, applying adhesive, then pressing the Vibram down on the sole. Is there something more complicated necessary?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
This comment made me curious. I thought Vibram was simply installed by sanding/roughing up the sole, applying adhesive, then pressing the Vibram down on the sole. Is there something more complicated necessary?
OK...first what I'm talking about is a dress soling, a quarter of an inch thick. It is not the lug sole. Nor is it like Topy...ie. 1mm thick. Second, to install a flush mounted plate, one sands/grinds down the sole then nails the plates on. Done! Et fin. And no care for the threads you've cut. To install a vibram toe you grind down the sole in a bevel, pull the old, cut, threads from the welt, fit and cement the toe, and then restitch...sometimes by hand...the vibram. Then you need to trim, dye/ink the edge of the outsole and burnish it so that it blends entirely with thh old sole.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight.

check the vass thread. they offer it as a variation and many members already opted for this version.

i have done it without regret but won't do it anymore as i prefer metal taps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads