Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Toastmasters

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jun 29, 2006.

1. DNW

DNW Senior member

Thinking about joining my school's toastmaster club. If anything, I'd like to be a better public speaker. Does anyone here have experience with it?

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Recommended, and not just because I am a member. I joined my local club late last year and wish I had done so sooner.

In general you will find the most supportive people, all with the same goal. All the "regular" clubs (with a few exceptions - check their web sites, start at toastmasters.org) allow guests to attend without pressure to speak or join. Many do join.

Upon joining you will be offered a mentor - generally a more experienced speaker who volunteers his/her help and guidance. You'll also get a manual with 10 speaking projects, each of which focuses on a particular aspect of speaking: structure, body language, vocal variety, research, persuade, motivate. You'll progress at your own pace.

In short, you can expect a positive, supportive environment where you are encouraged to develop as a speaker. IMHO, well worth the time and money.

3. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Toastmasters was fantastic for improving my public speaking skills. Highly recommended.