• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To hem, or not to hem: that is the question

lost in va

Reaction score
I've decided to turn my sami's into a work project. Just basically going to wear them every day when the weather gets better (not in the 90's) and before I did so I wanted to get your opinion.

Should these jeans come up an inch or two? These are raw, unsoaked/unwashed/etc, and only the second time I've ever put them on.

DSCN5474.jpg

On a small side note. Can anyone recommend a good work shoe? I'm outside most of the day so it needs to hold up but in a weird way I'd at least like to make it look decent with the jeans and a white T.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lost in va
I've decided to turn my sami's into a work project. Just basically going to wear them every day when the weather gets better (not in the 90's) and before I did so I wanted to get your opinion.

Should these jeans come up an inch or two? These are raw, unsoaked/unwashed/etc, and only the second time I've ever put them on.

DSCN5474.jpg

On a small side note. Can anyone recommend a good work shoe? I'm outside most of the day so it needs to hold up but in a weird way I'd at least like to make it look decent with the jeans and a white T.

wait and shorten after you wash them a few more times.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to wash them, then wait. But the stacking doesn't look too great right now.

lost in va

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
If you're going to wash them, then wait. But the stacking doesn't look too great right now.
Yea, they're stiff as a board right now and aren't allowing any decent stacking.

Anyone know if this will go away with time? The jeans are S5000VX's in 30x36 and I'm 5'11" 145lbs.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do know those are unsanforized right? I think it'd be a terrible idea to hem them without washing them first.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you HAVE to soak them at least once for an hour. At the bare minimum. before you can make any real assessment.

They will probably shrink 2+ inches in length, possibly 3+. At 5'11" you are borderline whether you need to hem them. If you don't, they will be a couple of inches too long (which a lot of people wear by choice), for a more precise fit you will be hemming them. Up to you

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea. Those jeans are gonna shrink a lot as that's not how they're intended to fit. The intended fit can only be had after a hot soak for an hour or so. It's not really a matter of preference like with sanforized brands (apc, nudie, r&b, 5ep). So soak and then try again. Tumble dry low for extra shrinkage. As much as it is kind of taboo to tumble dry, i believe the japanese stores that sell these one wash and BiG that does a one wash service tumble dries low to get most the shrinkage out of the way in the beginning.

Also, as others have stated in different threads, you can just throw them on and leave them. You have to work your stacks down a bit in order for them not to look weird. They'll soften up a bit and sit better in time, but just take your hands around your legs and just push the excess material down till it looks good. After awhile, it won't be a problem, but you could've at least tried to make the stacks better before doing something drastic like hemming.

I think after you soak them and then push the stacks down it'll be fine and you won't really need hemming.

lost in va

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
You do know those are unsanforized right? I think it'd be a terrible idea to hem them without washing them first.
Yea, but at 5'11" and with no experience with these I didn't know if they'd honestly get short enough to look decent on me.

Hot soak comes tomorrow. I've got atleast 2-3 weeks before I can start wearing them at work (it's to ******* hot here) so I'll get in a little break in period before I start walking around every day in them.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads