• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all UK Members, Ethical Dilemma -- Please Help!

juniper

Reaction score
The black-tie-not-required is someone being nice to people who can't afford/don't have it. Wear black tie.

Don't wear opera pumps - people will laugh their arses off.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
1) Buy opera pumps in the UK.

The solution presents itself. Seriously, if I was in your situation I would use exactly this excuse to justify buying a pair.

arc

Reaction score
Pick up some EG bal boots; mirror shine. Technically not correct, but this way you're covered if you ever have to wear morning dress. Next, buy a new SAB bag in which to transport them home.

You know you want to.

On a more serious note, perhaps just wear black calfskin cap toes (or wholecuts/plaintoes/adelaides if you have them) the whole trip, and mirror shine them before the event?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
The black-tie-not-required is someone being nice to people who can't afford/don't have it. Wear black tie.

This. Mail your shoes there if they won't fit in your bag. I don't like to wear new items to important events so I wouldn't buy a pair in London for this event.

majesticj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
During an extended business trip, I am going to be attending an event in London. The event is "traditionally black tie" but black tie is not "required." There is a remote possibility that I could cram my tuxedo into my bag but there is no way I can bring another pair of shoes. I, therefore, have two choices, a) Wear black, cordovan punch-cap balmorals with a tuxedo or b) Wear a dark business suit. The first is extremely incorrect. The second is, sartorially, anyway, fine but makes no effort to comply with the tradition surrounding the event. Both of these are sins but I'm wondering which is the lesser. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of our English members. This is a clothing site. How juicy did you think it was going to be?
wait a minute, you have an opportunity to wear a tuxedo in the appropriate context, but you are considering not packing it? are you insane??
Originally Posted by arc
Pick up some EG bal boots; mirror shine. Technically not correct, but this way you're covered if you ever have to wear morning dress. Next, buy a new SAB bag in which to transport them home. You know you want to. On a more serious note, perhaps just wear black calfskin cap toes (or wholecuts/plaintoes/adelaides if you have them) the whole trip, and mirror shine them before the event?
or this really, any shoe is going to be fine as long as it's a) plain and b) black. opera pumps would be of course more "correct", but I don't think anyone is going to judge you for not wearing slightly incorrect black shoes vs. wholly incorrect brown shoes of course, you would be wise to not take my advice, i wear boots everwhere...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
NA-BB600_ETHICS_G_20091030173201.jpg

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
this has nothing to do with ethics.

rimshot.gif
bigstar[1].gif

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by majesticj
wait a minute, you have an opportunity to wear a tuxedo in the appropriate context, but you are considering not packing it?

are you insane??

really, any shoe is going to be fine as long as it's a) plain and b) black. opera pumps would be of course more "correct", but I don't think anyone is going to judge you for not wearing slightly incorrect black shoes vs. wholly incorrect brown shoes

bigstar[1].gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Not very, but I had hoped for a real ethical dilemma. A question on shoes/suits is not an "ethical dilemma." Its just a question on shoes/suits.
Well, I suppose you could look at it that way, but I was trying to spice it up a little by setting up conflicting moral imperatives. I really wanted to pitch the question in terms of existential angst but I was kind of in a hurry today.
Originally Posted by brittain
with ethics on the line, I assumed you going to ask if we thought it would be okay for you to buy shoes in England, wear them at the event, then return them the next day.
Now this is an idea!
Originally Posted by alliswell
4) Wear black shoes on your trip instead of cordovan (added benefit - you'll look like less of a rube in London).
The shoes are black. But they are made out of cordovan so they won't shine up. No way I'd wear anything but black shoes in London except, possibly, at the weekend.
Originally Posted by juniper
Don't wear opera pumps - people will laugh their arses off.
Are you English? Because I feel exactly the same way about opera pumps. I know they are technically correct but I just can't bring myself to do it. I had considered shipping correct shoes ahead but it is extremely difficult logistically given my time constraints, as would be buying a new pair of patent leather shoes, which, unfortunately, even I can't really justify to myself, let alone anyone else -- and believe me, I've tried. I already have a perfectly good pair and only get to wear them a few times a year. Anyway, you guys are all fighting the hypothetical. What is worse in the UK, showing up correctly turned out in a dark suit or wearing a tuxedo with borderline-comical shoes? In the U.S., the question is a no-brainer. Given the bizarre permutations of what usually passes for black tie, you could show up wearing flip-flops with your toe-nails painted to match your tie and cummerbund and probably no one would notice. But I know the black-tie-wearing crowd in the UK have higher standards, Gordon Brown notwithstanding. So I'm curious as to which of these is the less-embarrassing course.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
this has nothing to do with ethics.

so very +1!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear the black cordovan with the tuxedo. Since black tie isn't absolutely required it shouldn't be too much of an issue to bend the rules a bit; it's still the closest to black tie of the two options.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
On a more serious note, perhaps just wear black calfskin cap toes (or wholecuts/plaintoes/adelaides if you have them) the whole trip, and mirror shine them before the event?

This, obviously.

By the way, this idea that one must wear black shoes in London during the day five days a week is laughably old fashioned, unless one moves in very restricted circles.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Seriously, London is one of those places where shoes matter. Find a way to bring and wear the correct ones. You would be better off with the right shoes and a so so dinner suit than the right suit and the wrong shoes.
+1. Wearing somthing that you know is not quite right can leave you feeling uncomfortable about your attire all evening instead of enjoying the event. Take or send the right shoes.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, you could probably pick up some cheap-ish black velvet slippers while over there, and send them back for lounging in style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads