• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TM Lewin - Poor Customer Service/Operations

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
As a long time customer of TM Lewin (almost 10 years), I have to say their service has really deteriorated in the last year as they've expanded.

On my last transaction with them they "pre-charged" my debit card twice, causing my debit card to go into a negative balance, which then caused the Chase fraud department to put a hold on my card so that I couldn't even use it at all!

Then once that was settled, they sent me the wrong sized suit jacket and when I contacted them, they didn't even acknowledge the mistake or apologize!

In another order they shipped items a week apart in two separate shipments yet charged the entire order upfront without notice that it was going to be split up. This isn't really a big deal, but it'd be nice to be told this in advance.

Perhaps the worst instance I've had with them recently was at their store on Jermyn Street where I purchased 4 shirts and came home to find that 2 of them had brown streaks where they were folded. They came out after a lot of scrubbing with one of those shout gel brushes but still, there should be no marks on a brand new shirt.

I've had other minor and other major issues with them recently, all the people I've dealt with have been courteous and respectful though. I think this is just the cost of expanding, because up to this year, I haven't had one problem with their service.

Aside from their sloppy operational mistakes, the goods are generally still excellent quality.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you return the shirts? I wouldn't want to subject my brand new dress shirt to intense scrubbing with harsh chemicals and a stiff synthetic brush.

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
I left for New York the next day and found out at home, I was just in London on business for a few days. It's would've been too much trouble to ship them back to the UK and have them ship me new shirts.

Again, in the 10 years i've shopped at TM Lewin, I've had zero problems - perfect everything, in fact they're my favorite store in the UK, and I buy pretty much everything from them because their prices are so reasonable and the quality of their products are USUALLY very high.

But, I must say that in my experience their customer service and just the way they do business transactions has fell off noticeably in the last year since they've gotten bigger.

It's just been so consistent lately that I felt I had to share my experiences in hopes they will improve.

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
Also, I just noticed they didn't leave me a packing slip/invoice on the shipment that they sent the wrong sized suit, which is probably why they made the mistake.

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
Here's an update to my problem that I posted about: I sent my suit back on July 7th because they sent me the incorrect size. According to the USPS website they received it on July 14th: Track & Confirm\tFAQs Label/Receipt Number: CP50 1176 546U S Status: Delivered Abroad Your item was delivered in GREAT BRITAIN at 9:49 AM on July 14, 2008. I contacted them a total of 4 times via e-mail after July 14th, and to this date I have yet to receive a response or a refund of my postal costs. They simply will not respond to my emails. I would be weary of TM Lewin at this point.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thecrabbisk
Here's an update to my problem that I posted about:

I sent my suit back on July 7th because they sent me the incorrect size. According to the USPS website they received it on July 14th:

Track & Confirm\tFAQs

Label/Receipt Number: CP50 1176 546U S

Your item was delivered in GREAT BRITAIN at 9:49 AM on July 14, 2008.

I contacted them a total of 4 times via e-mail after July 14th, and to this date I have yet to receive a response or a refund of my postal costs. They simply will not respond to my emails.

I would be weary of TM Lewin at this point.

Call them during bussiness hours and talk to Michelle Young. I had a huge problem trying to buy a suit from them and she straightened everything out (did not get the suit in the end).

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
I will do that, thanks so much for the tip. Yeah, this is by far the worst transaction i've ever experienced with them, just mistake after mistake.

LeonM

Reaction score
Sales at TM Lewin are up 16% according to the business news today.

Leon

Thecrabbisk

Reaction score
Haha, ya because no one wants to lose their job during the recession so everyone wants to look smart nowadays!

Another update, I got an email from customer service and they say they haven't even received my returned package! Uh oh, looks like I will have to prove who signed off on it since I sent it via USPS priority mail.

Really horrible experience. After 10 years, I won't be ordering from them anymore. I can only trust buying in person now. Even when I have proof of delivery they claim it hasn't been delivered!

Amar ezzahi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HATORI HANZO
Call them during bussiness hours and talk to Michelle Young. I had a huge problem trying to buy a suit from them and she straightened everything out (did not get the suit in the end).

Yep, Michelle Young is a very nice person who could certainly resolve your problem.

Amar ezzahi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HATORI HANZO

Yep, Michelle Young is a very nice person who could certainly resolve your problem.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thecrabbisk
Is she the head of customer service? I thought it was Kirstie?

Forgot what her title is but she sounds hot
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads