• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same for me. Vass F did not work even with MTM modifications. TLB lasts are much better for me. (Low Volume flat foot narrow heels)
Sorry to hear it. Vass offered to make me a custom pair, the changes offered were to sand a little at the achilles from the heel and leave it 1-2 mm higher under the ankle to better encircle it. I declined as I wasn’t confident that it would work.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those wouldn’t work for me I don’t think as I not only have flat feet but also a high instep. The good news is 90% of my shoes fit me perfectly fine and I also found that these pads help. View attachment 1416509

That’s quite uncommon. Since all people have the same bones in our feet, it’s usually just about if those bones are placed high or low, so low arch equals low instep, high arch equals high instep. In general, that is.

Can’t really make out how that heel seat helps for flat feet either TBH, since it’s just lifting the back, but if you feel they work that’s good of course.

Lucky you with 90% fitting you well, in my case it’s more the other way around when it comes to RTW ?

Last edited:

George Mason

Reaction score
What tlb last fits similar to the vass f last?
I was measured for the F last in the Vass shop in Budapest. I'm typically 7F UK/8D US in everything, but the 41 in a Vass F last boot was a bit too roomy, so I went down to 40.5 and sizing is fine. Note: All five pairs of my Vass collection are boots. My one pair of TLB Mallorca is a double monk in the Alan last, and my normal size of 7F fits well.

Hope that helped a bit...

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s quite uncommon. Since all people have the same bones in our feet, it’s usually just about if those bones are placed high or low, so low arch equals low instep, high arch equals high instep. In general, that is.
My mom always told me I was special LOL. But here’s a side profile of my feet.
E30758BE-ADE4-421D-87E1-5A41152952E4.jpeg
61E83500-3260-4B6C-BCB6-A66A71BDE783.jpeg

Kivi D

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of mto suede monks but according to Skolyx, going down half a size is recommended. Has anyone downsized or stayed tts?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom always told me I was special LOL. But here’s a side profile of my feet. View attachment 1416544 View attachment 1416545

Crazy, my mother told me that as well! :) Look pretty flat yes, but instep certainly don't look high to me.

Thinking of getting a pair of mto suede monks but according to Skolyx, going down half a size is recommended. Has anyone downsized or stayed tts?

Not sure how the question was asked or if there's been some misunderstanding, but we generally don't suggest to size down for monkstraps. Can be the case for some, that they go down in size in derbys and monkstraps compared to oxfords with closed lacing, but not the general "rule".

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if an outfit called Cambrillon I just stumbled across, who apparently makes their shoes in Almansa, Spain has any sort of historical connection with TLB or other Spanish makers.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy, my mother told me that as well! :) Look pretty flat yes, but instep certainly don't look high to me.

I don’t have the highest instep in the world, the B measurement is 10”. Also here’s a picture of me trying on Carmina Simpson (left) and Carmina Rain (right).
73C906E0-DE93-4C56-B9A9-FECDA19ED71E.jpeg
D1F523F9-2144-49A0-ABBF-3BF1CC170188.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ For all you flat feet people, you need to stack up on tongue pads! Very easy to use, comfortable (need to be soften with a few wears then you don't think about them), doesn't come loose, works miracles for low insteps and heel slippage issues.

Loaferstonguepad.jpg

ploskudde.jpg
Great idea.
I put some in my cart. But.......$28 shipping to the US. Yikes.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the highest instep in the world, the B measurement is 10”. Also here’s a picture of me trying on Carmina Simpson (left) and Carmina Rain (right).
View attachment 1416989 View attachment 1416990

The measurement doesn't say much when one don't know what size you wear :)
Those look too small overall those shoes. But note, I'm not saying you can't have flat feet and higher instep, just that it's not common.

Great idea.
I put some in my cart. But.......$28 shipping to the US. Yikes.

Buy a pair of shoes and shipping will be free :)

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The measurement doesn't say much when one don't know what size you wear :)
Those look too small overall those shoes. But note, I'm not saying you can't have flat feet and higher instep, just that it's not common.

You said that the instep in my previous picture of me with no shoes didn’t look high to you, so I was just showing you how they look with shoes on. The Simpson last as you probably already know have most guys size up 1/2 from their Carmina Rain size partly due to their shallower instep. The Rain is 7 UK which is what I wear in all my shoes and the Simpson is 7.5 UK, so not too small, just an instep that’s too low for my feet.

I’m not arguing with you that it’s uncommon, I’m just providing proof and maybe that can help some other guys with sizing.

shoesforever

Reaction score
@vriche I actually have the same problem. Flat feet and high instep. I would always notice this problem with a bigger V on my shoes and never thought about whether it was common or not. That is until I went to a Hiro Yanagamachi trunk show and was fitted with a pair of fitting shoes he had with him for his MTO program. My shoes were gaping on the sides like yours. I always figured my feet were normal, since people of Asian origin often have flat feet, but he said I also had a high instep and that he would not do MTO for me. Only MTM at the minimum. Believe he also noted that it was not that common, but I was a bit disappointed, since I thought his lasts would fit my asian feet better than European lasts.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@vriche I actually have the same problem. Flat feet and high instep. I would always notice this problem with a bigger V on my shoes and never thought about whether it was common or not. That is until I went to a Hiro Yanagamachi trunk show and was fitted with a pair of fitting shoes he had with him for his MTO program. My shoes were gaping on the sides like yours. I always figured my feet were normal, since people of Asian origin often have flat feet, but he said I also had a high instep and that he would not do MTO for me. Only MTM at the minimum. Believe he also noted that it was not that common, but I was a bit disappointed, since I thought his lasts would fit my asian feet better than European lasts.
Damn, that’s too bad! I was always under the same impression that an Asian shoemaker’s last would fit flat feet well. I guess the combination of a high instep is just too much. The good part is, I didn’t realize that I had flat feet until my Vass F last fit horribly but I always knew that my instep was high. So 90% of my shoes fit me normally such as Carmina Rain, TLB Picasso, EB 946, Joe Works 0, L&T S and many more.

Dr JB

Reaction score
@vriche looks like your foot is on the wider side? I’ve got flat, narrow feet and low instep and have all kinds of problems with tight wastes and high instep shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads