• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on adding a pocket square!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I used to make the mistake of just folding and stuffing a handkerchief into my breast pocket. After some messing around, I found that making it look crisp and elegant was only a matter of adding a few minutes to the process. Enter the iron. Sure, you may iron them unfolded, but what really makes the difference is keeping it folded neatly by pressing. I fold and iron as shown, and get awesome results.
MVC-015S.jpg
MVC-014S.jpg
This is probably common knowledge, I apologize. But I want some of the newbies here to avoid the mistakes I've made in the past. Now, with that aside, I need an opinion.
MVC-016S.jpg
Which pair of socks with a mid-grey three piece suit, white shirt, black captoe bluchers, and that tie? Note the black socks actually have an argyle pattern knitted into them even though the picture doesn't show it well.

pkincy

Reaction score
Well, I will preface this to say that I am old and conservative but here goes:

No argyles with a suit ever. A very subtle sewed in pattern maybe.

And I suppose you can wear black or dark grey socks and a darkish tie with a grey suit but I seldom do.

I will more typically wear cordovan color laced shoes, navy blue socks and a cordovan belt. And I find that a tie that is predominantly yellow will give a bit of pop to a fairly mundane monochromatic outfit.

I do have a grey Zegna shirt, and a high quality Italian near matching grey tie with black highlights that I will wear with my Charcoal Grey Zegna 3 button SB. But only with the charcoal grey. This combo I will pair with a pair of black wholecuts, black belt and watch with black leather band.

My mid greys, which are a Samuelsohn 2 button and an Isaia pinstripe 3 button, are normally worn in the old trad style above (cordovan accessories, navy blue socks, yellow tie <or sometimes red, burgundy or orange>)

Perry

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey and black argyle

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Ah well, I am young and thus a little flamboyant. Me and my argyle socks almost never go apart even with a suit. Any thoughts on my tips though?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The Tradleys must be vomiting at me in unison right now, haha. I honestly don't see why it's so bad besides it being untraditional. Ties, shirts, and the suit itself can have patterns... why I can't my socks? I guess it's just a personal affectation of mine.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with the blue/grey(?) argyle socks(left on photo), they'll work with the suit and tie better than the black socks(which would coordinate with a black tie).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, gents. I'm leaving to the event now... in the blue argyle socks. (Those lighter coloured diamonds are actually a tealish colour) I have no flower since they don't bloom around my house, but hopefully the pocket square will add enough of a finishing touch.
smile.gif

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Well, I will preface this to say that I am old and conservative but here goes:

No argyles with a suit ever.

Let me just repeat what Perry said: No argyles with a suit ever!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me that much, and I would definitely wear argyles with a more rustic suit. If you're seeking flamboyance, coloured (maybe clocked) socks would be more in tune with the ensemble you described.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads