• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiger Woods

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiger Woods is one UGLY dude. I don't care how good he is at playing golf.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika

laugh.gif
Thanks for you input.

Here's one more:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's hard not to like Tiger. Despite all his success and unwordly abilities, he's openly emotional in a relatable way, close to his family, has close friends from college that he pals around with. He's nothing at all like Arod or Kobe or Jordan - guys that are either lack self awareness or friends or are so ruthlessly competetive that it carries over to their personal life.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika

and clearly that has inhibited him so terribly.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
^ I don't know about that, man. When I began watching him a few years ago, I did not think much of him either. But watching him through the years how he trained and how mentally tough he was, I quickly changed my mind. To me, he is true essence of what hard work and dedication can do for an athlete. Your right, he might have a cocky presence, but that's just his mentality that he knows he can beat everyone, which he does very often. This is why I usually root for him.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
+1
He's the epitome of dedication, practice and hardwork....how can one hate on that?

I'm not hating on his hard work, dedication, or practice. I'm really not hating on him at all. Three is no question that he is one hell of an amazing specimen and I admire and respect that. Just saying that I find him hard to get behind as a fan, that's all.

Originally Posted by SField
Umm... he has certainly struggled by his standards. In some tournaments he failed to make the cut, played embarassingly, and was far below his standard. I don't know if you recall, but the "sucky" Mark O'Meara has kind of won a few big tournaments.

Tiger has always been a gracious loser and keeps a pretty cool head. First you say he's cold, then when he celebrates (and single handedly makes golf more exciting more most people), you *****. What exactly do you want out of him?

I probably overstated the O'Meara case. O'Meara didn't used to suck. However, he's been almost a total non-factor during the productive part of Woods' career.

I think the celebrations are as calculated as the rest of it.

If people like it, that's fine. I never said he's not good for the game - obviously, he's great for it.

Originally Posted by Baron
It's hard not to like Tiger. Despite all his success and unwordly abilities, he's openly emotional in a relatable way, close to his family, has close friends from college that he pals around with. He's nothing at all like Arod or Kobe or Jordan - guys that are either lack self awareness or friends or are so ruthlessly competetive that it carries over to their personal life.

I still disagree that he's openly emotional. He's totally, totally in control of every interview. Everything he does on the course is meticulously planned. He does have one or two college pals, it's true, but a friend of mine knew him at Stanford and said he was cold and calculating even then. I suppose there was a window there when his father died...

The name of his boat is "Privacy." I think that starts to tell you what you need to know about where he feels like he can be himself.

Oh well, I guess I disagree with most people, but it's not like I didn't already know that. A similar comparison is to Roger Federer, who I have respected but rooted against for several years. Now that he's on his ass, I find him more compelling and I'm actually starting to root for the guy.

Maybe I just like an underdog.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As much as I respect Tiger, I think golf in general suffers because of his dominance. The past-generations' greats had better competition: Nicklaus-Watson, Hogan-Nelson-Snead, Jones-Hagen, for instance. You knew you had seen something special when those guys were going at it, and part of it stemmed from the idea that both Nicklaus and Watson figured they had an even shot to win.

Against Tiger? I don't think there's a golfer playing today who believes he has a chance against Tiger in head-to-head competition. And I think that sucks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no issues with Tiger, I'm very happy for his success (and Swedish wife). I root against him simply because I can't stand dominant athletes/teams. I rooted agains the Bulls/MJ, against Anderson Silva, against Michael Schumacher/Ferrari (not too much now since their current drivers aren't as dominant as him), against the Patriots. I find it as boring as people find it fascinating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads