• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie to go with this SC? (green)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isaiagreen2.jpg

isaiagreen1.jpg

First picture shows the colour better. I love the fabric/colour, and don't wear a tie all that often, but want some options regardless. I was thinking navy...

Red will be fine for Christmas parties only
tounge.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid navy is an easy match... a fairly thick simple rep stripe would work, like navy and brown, navy and cream.

Certain browns and orange tones too.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Solid navy is an easy match... a fairly thick simple rep stripe would work, like navy and brown, navy and cream.

Certain browns and orange tones too.

Hmmm would solid brown work as well? (I tend to be quite boring as far as tie selection goes) Maybe a nice chocolate brown grenadine?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Because it appears to be such a dark shade of green (it looks a little like a subtle black watch plaid to me) there should be plenty of options both on the darker and brighter sides of the spectrum.

I think a solid navy, burgundy or brown grenadine might do well. I also think a patterned or repp tie with hints of grays, oranges, deep reds (like maroon or a wine color) or pale blues might look good.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colors that would compliment this:

Khaki/Gold
Rust
Paprika
Medium Blue
Medium Grey
Cement
Bright burgundy
Brown

You could use just about any combination of these colors in a tie. (stripes, dots, paisley) The green ground is rather bright so keep your colors for the tie clean and on the brighter side (the same or similar value) as well. You might want a tie that has a bit of a moss color to pick up the color of the coat.

Consider pink and blue shirts. A lightweight denim shirt would look fantastic with this.

If the tie is solid, say grey, consider a grey cashmere for texture. I would not wear a solid silk tie with this. Too plain IMO.

For pants what are you wearing? Medium grey or Khaki probably?

AND, for your pocket square, any of the colors mentioned above would work as well. A paisley pattern would look very good as long as you don't have a paisley tie.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the reply's!

I was planning on doing light blue shirts with it, I am intrigued by the pink idea though.

As far as pants, definitely mid and light grey, would charcoal not work? I don't wear khaki, I just don't like the colour
tounge.gif

I have a linen PS with a blue/grey edge that I think adds a nice contrast, I will post a picture of it later.

I only own a couple solid silk ties, so avoiding them will be easy. I like cashmere/knit/grenadine too much. Hmmm there is some grey in the SC, a nice grey wool or cashmere would pick up on that nicely.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I have a linen PS with a blue/grey edge that I think adds a nice contrast, I will post a picture of it later.

I would go for a silk pocket square with this jacket due to it's color/pattern. I don't think linen will look right.

Here are a few ideas:

Patterned pocket square with many different colors and a heather brown with dark blue. This would go very well with grey pants and a blue shirt. OR

Knit cashmere charcoal grey and paprika colored ancient madder print. Note how the square has just a hint of blue in it to coordinate with a blue shirt yet neither the square or the tie match the jacket.

heatherknit.jpg

Paprikagrey.jpg

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I would go for a silk pocket square with this jacket due to it's color/pattern. I don't think linen will look right.

Here are a few ideas:

Patterned pocket square with many different colors and a heather brown with dark blue. This would go very well with grey pants and a blue shirt. OR

Knit cashmere charcoal grey and paprika colored ancient madder print. Note how the square has just a hint of blue in it to coordinate with a blue shirt yet neither the square or the tie match the jacket.

heatherknit.jpg

Paprikagrey.jpg

worship.gif
Your combinations/ideas are amazing! Thank you for the inspiration!

f-tard

Reaction score
that brown tie is a beauty, where's it from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads