• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie knot and pocket square fold for wedding

mrphrog

Reaction score
I'll be attending an evening wedding banquet of a close friend, and I wonder which tie knot and pocket square fold are most appropriate for my charcoal suit. Thanks for helping me out.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie knot really doesn't matter, and what kind of square is it?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should wear whatever tie knot you typically wear and feel comfotable with. With a silk square I typically just do a puff, because folding silk usually comes out looking a little weird.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four-in-hand or Prince Albert knot. Corners up "fold" for the white silk square

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the tie knot should really be based on the type of collar you are using ... and I agree with jml on the pocket square

mrphrog

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. I think I'll go for a four-in-hand and a puff. Thanks.

magnus_h

Reaction score
A puff will work but some sort of puff with points as gdl suggests would be even more elegant I think.

magnus_h

Reaction score
A roll works too. What I usually do is grab the square as for a puff fold, but then pull up two of the corners too before putting it in your pocket, so you get a puff + 2 corners up. Or grab it as a puff but insert it in the pocket puff side down, so you just get the four corners pointing up (I think this is the one gdl was referring to).

http://www.mileta.cz/pocket/Folding_frame.htm has some examples.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magnus_h
Or grab it as a puff but insert it in the pocket puff side down, so you just get the four corners pointing up (I think this is the one gdl was referring to).
Yes. In my experience, this is the most elegant for a white silk square. 2nd choice would be puff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads