• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie and Business Casual

cmrocks

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to start at a work place where the dress code is business casual. I work for a smaller mining company and everyone is in the same office. The CEO and some of the high level execs are wearing suits. The VP Exploration doesn't care and wears jeans and a polo. The rest of the staff are usually in dress pants and a dress shirt. I'd like to wear a tie to work just because I've always liked them.

Is it okay to wear a tie with cotton dress pants?

Is it acceptable to wear a tie without a suit jacket?

Thanks

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I don't like the look. I'd rather do a sports coat without tie than a tie without a jacket. I' suggest a perfectly fitted shirt, trousers, and great shoes and watch.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't like the look. I'd rather do a sports coat without tie than a tie without a jacket. I' suggest a perfectly fitted shirt, trousers, and great shoes and watch.

+1, start out wearing the basics (shirt and pants) and 'up' your game by making sure everything fits well and is tasteful, throw in some good quality shoes (polished), belt, and a nice watch and start there.

then start arriving with a SC which you wear to meetings or lunch but hang up at your desk... pretend it's a coat to keep you warm on the way to/from work.

if you insist on a tie, then add a sweater or cardigan or something to minimize it.

still, start with step 1 and go from there

williamson

Reaction score
I've said it many times before and I say it again - DON'T go down the open-necked-shirt-with-jacket road (as has been suggested). The look is sloppy and unfinished. There is NOTHING WRONG with wearing a tie and not a jacket, so long as the trousers are belted, flat-fronted and without turn-ups - a streamlined unfussy look.

The answer to the OP's two questions is "yes" in each case.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads