Tie and Business Casual

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmrocks, Oct 15, 2011.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

Hi,

I'm about to start at a work place where the dress code is business casual. I work for a smaller mining company and everyone is in the same office. The CEO and some of the high level execs are wearing suits. The VP Exploration doesn't care and wears jeans and a polo. The rest of the staff are usually in dress pants and a dress shirt. I'd like to wear a tie to work just because I've always liked them.

Is it okay to wear a tie with cotton dress pants?

Is it acceptable to wear a tie without a suit jacket?

Thanks

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

It's fine.

3. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

I don't like the look. I'd rather do a sports coat without tie than a tie without a jacket. I' suggest a perfectly fitted shirt, trousers, and great shoes and watch.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

+1, start out wearing the basics (shirt and pants) and 'up' your game by making sure everything fits well and is tasteful, throw in some good quality shoes (polished), belt, and a nice watch and start there.

then start arriving with a SC which you wear to meetings or lunch but hang up at your desk... pretend it's a coat to keep you warm on the way to/from work.

if you insist on a tie, then add a sweater or cardigan or something to minimize it.

still, start with step 1 and go from there

5. williamson

williamson Senior member

I've said it many times before and I say it again - DON'T go down the open-necked-shirt-with-jacket road (as has been suggested). The look is sloppy and unfinished. There is NOTHING WRONG with wearing a tie and not a jacket, so long as the trousers are belted, flat-fronted and without turn-ups - a streamlined unfussy look.

The answer to the OP's two questions is "yes" in each case.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011