Ticket pocket on my Chan suit, or no?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I always get ticket pockets on my business suits. I like the look, and I think they work well on the tall. I have only recently become aware that many consider them innapripriate on business suits. I guess I like the look enough that I don't care.

As to that Polo suit, it looks good to me. It's obviouly not a lean and clean silhouette, but it looks good for what it is -- an attempt to replicate the Drape in RTW.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Yes, I wasn't saying I like the entire Polo suit. I think maybe a bit more fitted through the waist would have been good -- but then again it is a glen plaid, which looks good in a drape cut. But I really like the shoulder silhoutte and button stance in that suit, and I think the ticket pocket just adds a touch of dash to the suit.

Look, I want a business suit, but I don't want it to simply be a "business suit" if you know what I mean. I also think a ticket pocket draws the eye to the waist and then upwards to the tie, etc. Since I have a good waist, it is beneficial for me to draw attention there and then let the eyes go up.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree insofar as I think that the ticket pocket looks better on a "sporting" jacket, so the ticket pocket also looks good on a suit in heavier, more casual fabric, such as the glen plaid Polo suit. For a versatile, multipurpose business suit, I would advise against them, trendy though they are.

4. keys

keys Senior member

I like ticket pocket's but am concerned that it may make me appear shorter than I already am [5'8"]. Any thoughts on whether shorter men should refrain from TP's all together?

I say go for it as it does indeed add a bit of spice to an already nice jacket.

V-

5. Manton

I think it does not help. On business suits generally, and on dark worsteds in particular, I would avoid them if I were you.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

How about being a pioneer and getting a PDA/phone pocket instead of a ticket pocket, but in the same position. Have it constructed so that it will camouflage a phone and then I would totally sanction it as a functional feature.

In fact, when I finally get a suit made, I may do the same thing. (Although by then, we will undoubtedly have cell phones implanted in our skulls, and I don't know if it will be appropriate to wear a suit in my flying Jetsons spacecar.)

7. Manton

I find that it's easiest to conceal these devices (provided they are not too thick) with inside pockets around the hips.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Now that I look at the position of the pocket again, you're probably right, as it is right at the top of the pelvis. I was thinking for some reason that it was higher, and that the phone could be tucked in there. Nevermind.

BTW: I'm a little bored right now. Can you tell?

9. Manton

I wasn't going to say anything.  Glass houses and all.

Jackets made in the 1930s more often than not had "cigarette" pockets on the inside left hip (or just above the hip), used to hold (you guessed it.) cigarette packs, or metal cases (for the real boulevardiers).  That's a good place for a pocket about the right size for a small cellphone or Blackberry.

10. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I say go with the ticket pocket. Â Here's a quick pic of the one of the most recent Chan suits I ordered--I have a couple of hacking/ticket pocket combo suits, but I see no problem doing it on a straight flap pocket. [​IMG]

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

What fabric is that, Retro?

12. retronotmetro

Johnny, it's a VBC 130s gray nailhead. Â Detail shot: [​IMG]

13. retronotmetro

(j @ 26 Oct. 2004, 08:46) How about being a pioneer and getting a PDA/phone pocket instead of a ticket pocket, but in the same position. Have it constructed so that it will camouflage a phone and then I would totally sanction it as a functional feature.
    I find that it's easiest to conceal these devices (provided they are not too thick) with inside pockets around the hips.
    I put my cell phone in the ticket pocket whenever I am wearing a suit that has one. It fits fine and does not create a "lump" in the pocket. However, my PDAs don't fit that pocket very well--the pocket opening is too narrow and if you widen the pocket it would end up looking almost the same width as the flap pocket below.

14. retronotmetro

I've seen them from time to time. Flusser writes something about flap ticket/cash pockets making a more casual coat, and besom ticket/cash pockets making a more formal coat.

15. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

allow me to rant for a second:

i think you guys base too many of your opinions on what has been done historically or on what so so wrote in his book.

use YOUR EYES.

it is painfully obvious that whether or not one likes ticket pockets, they make the jacket less formal.

this is not good or bad, it's just the way things are. decide what degree of formality you want in your suit and that will answer the initial question of this thread.