• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thursday Boot Co. Appreciation Thread News, Pictures, etc.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
With fall here in Ontario and winter fast approaching I felt ready to buy some dress boots to help take my dress shoes out of rotation. Like swapping to winter tires. Just ordered the Thursday Wingtip in brandy leather with rubber soles.

View attachment 871605

View attachment 871606

View attachment 871607
Following up. The boots are defective. I put my foot in and felt a “ledge” under the insole at the point where the arch and ball of my meet meet. I put my other foot and THE SAME LEDGE. It’s like the cork or the shank was put in without shaving it down to a taper. Imagine laying down a sheet of quarter inch plywood on the floor, standing in your socks with your heels and arches on the edge of the plywood and your toes on the floor. That’s the ledge. How could that pass inspection? Surely someone in production had to put their hand into the boot to lay on the bottom insole and would have felt that sudden “drop” towards the toe area! I took pictures of the insides, attached. The insole is black so the contour is not easy to see, but the photos reveal a definite ridge going down from the heel platform towards the toe section.

I initiated a return. Thursday doesn’t respond on weekends so I won’t know if they will pay my postage from Canada to return these boots.

87677519-13CA-4ABD-98A1-DF55065D0272.jpeg

2AB38FEF-E7ED-4807-911F-D1F04FA1AA26.jpeg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up. The boots are defective. I put my foot in and felt a “ledge” under the insole at the point where the arch and ball of my meet meet. I put my other foot and THE SAME LEDGE. It’s like the cork or the shank was put in without shaving it down to a taper. Imagine laying down a sheet of quarter inch plywood on the floor, standing in your socks with your heels and arches on the edge of the plywood and your toes on the floor. That’s the ledge. How could that pass inspection? Surely someone in production had to put their hand into the boot to lay on the bottom insole and would have felt that sudden “drop” towards the toe area! I took pictures of the insides, attached. The insole is black so the contour is not easy to see, but the photos reveal a definite ridge going down from the heel platform towards the toe section.

I initiated a return. Thursday doesn’t respond on weekends so I won’t know if they will pay my postage from Canada to return these boots.

View attachment 873611

View attachment 873612

I'm 99% sure that's perfectly normal I'll check my boots when I get home later but all shoes and boots do have a transition between the heel pad and the rest of the foot.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that's perfectly normal I'll check my boots when I get home later but all shoes and boots do have a transition between the heel pad and the rest of the foot.
Thanks for your input. However these are my second pair of boots from Thursdays and my first ones which were the captains did not have the abrupt transition which I call more like a ledge

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. However these are my second pair of boots from Thursdays and my first ones which were the captains did not have the abrupt transition which I call more like a ledge

The President I just got in 9 has a small ledge as well as the 9.5 President that is to big for me. The Duke that I just received has no ledge at all unlike the President. I would be interested in what Thursday says and if you get an exchange does that have it or not.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK just got home and the Duke's in Brown (seconds) were waiting for me. Only thing I could find to make them a second is one boot has 1 out of place stitch in the welt. I did right by ordering the size 9 it fits perfect with dress socks. So seems since I generally wear dress socks sizing down one full size yields me the correct sized Thursday boot. Remember on the brannock I measure dead on 10D and President 9 and now Duke 9 finally fit correct for me. I have tried in the past 10 that became a yacht when fully broke in and the 9.5 I knew that would soon be a boat. So the 9 is not tight and I can easy wiggle my toes still room all over and there is still room in front of my toes. If I were to buy an 8.5 I bet it would fit my whole foot better but I would not have the room needed in front of my toes. Really I think Thursday is very generously sized more like an E width. That's why when I see guys post oh I can't by Thursday boots the don't offer wide I bet most of them would be just fine buying their regular size or only size down half a size and could have a Thursday boot. I will snap a few pics tomorrow in the sun and post.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought now that I have a Thursday Chelsea boot I would post a little comp.

Here you have my retail $199 Thursday boot Duke (I bought as a second @ $149).

IMG_20171112_120917.jpg
IMG_20171112_120931.jpg

Here you have my retail $395 Allen Edmonds Liverpool (I bought as a second @ $279).

IMG_20171112_121108.jpg
IMG_20171112_121123.jpg

Here you have my retail $760 Carmina Wholecut (note these are wholecut so notice no side seams, also JR soles).

IMG_20171112_121151.jpg
IMG_20171112_121206.jpg

Now you can see the 3 Chelsea boots that I own and quite a wide range in price between them. My opinion is all are really well made given their respective price range.

The Thursday Chelsea boots I just recieved so I really cannot comment on wearing comfort. But with the Dainite sole, chrome leather, and relative low cost they make great value bad weather boots and also look nice on dry days too.

The Allen Edmonds Chelsea boots I have worn and they are comfortable all day. You can see they have cleaner cuts, tighter stitching, so yes you can see the higher cost does yield a finer quality boot. Just as a note these have V-Tread covered leather soles so also OK in bad weather.

The Carmina Chelsea boots I have worn and they are comfortable all day. Here you can see even finer tight stitching with high precision cuts, and this boot has only one seam in the back (wholecut made from a single piece of leather) all representative of the higher cost. Also a JR leather sole that will take some wet weather and wears like iron. Here is the pinnacle of Chelsea boots as this is custom made to order, you pick every detail of the boot. Also note the attention to detail and precision is not only on the outside but also on the inside. When you take a look inside the boot every stitch is perfect, everything is aligned perfect, more a work of art from the inside to the outside, at a price of course.

So there you have it a comp of Chelsea boots from $149 to $760 each has its place in my rotation.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score

View attachment 874330 View attachment 874331

Here you have my retail $395 Allen Edmonds Liverpool (I bought as a second @ $279).

View attachment 874332 View attachment 874333

Here you have my retail $760 Carmina Wholecut (note these are wholecut so notice no side seams, also JR soles).

View attachment 874334 View attachment 874335

Now you can see the 3 Chelsea boots that I own and quite a wide range in price between them. My opinion is all are really well made given their respective price range.

The Thursday Chelsea boots I just recieved so I really cannot comment on wearing comfort. But with the Dainite sole, chrome leather, and relative low cost they make great value bad weather boots and also look nice on dry days too.

The Allen Edmonds Chelsea boots I have worn and they are comfortable all day. You can see they have cleaner cuts, tighter stitching, so yes you can see the higher cost does yield a finer quality boot. Just as a note these have V-Tread covered leather soles so also OK in bad weather.

The Carmina Chelsea boots I have worn and they are comfortable all day. Here you can see even finer tight stitching with high precision cuts, and this boot has only one seam in the back (wholecut made from a single piece of leather) all representative of the higher cost. Also a JR leather sole that will take some wet weather and wears like iron. Here is the pinnacle of Chelsea boots as this is custom made to order, you pick every detail of the boot. Also note the attention to detail and precision is not only on the outside but also on the inside. When you take a look inside the boot every stitch is perfect, everything is aligned perfect, more a work of art from the inside to the outside, at a price of course.

So there you have it a comp of Chelsea boots from $149 to $760 each has its place in my rotation.
Thanks for the review
! Pardon the possible duplication, but how does one access the purchase of seconds from Thursday boot company from their website? Is there a link?

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
The President I just got in 9 has a small ledge as well as the 9.5 President that is to big for me. The Duke that I just received has no ledge at all unlike the President. I would be interested in what Thursday says and if you get an exchange does that have it or not.
I got an email response today with an offer to an exchange. I replied that I wanted a refund. Waiting to see if they are willing to refund the purchase.

kopo

Reaction score
Anyone here have the Scout and Diplomat? TBC is suggesting I order a half size larger on the Diplomat.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
I got an email response today with an offer to an exchange. I replied that I wanted a refund. Waiting to see if they are willing to refund the purchase.
Got a confirmation TBC will refund the return. When I notified them the package was on its way back, TBC initiated the refund. Waiting for the credit to come on my card.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score

View attachment 874330 View attachment 874331

View attachment 874332 View attachment 874333

View attachment 874334 View attachment 874335

Those Carminas are really sleek and a whole other level than the first two!

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing the Presidents and the Dukes since I received them and I can solidly recommend that 1 full size down from your brannock is the correct size. I measure 10D on the brannock and I have had Thursday's in 10, 9.5, and now 9 and the 9 is by far the best fit even with standard socks. The Thursdays are really soft leather, you want a good snug fit so that they can mold to your foot and not wind up stretching to big. As it was with my old Thursdays that eventually got too big the leather on these is just getting better each day. They are just great boots that you can put on in the morning, wear all day, not worry a bit about the weather or what happens to them, and come home at the end of the day in comfort. If they started to make shoes I would certainly buy them too.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Does anyone here wear a wide in other brands? I typically wear an E width, but can get away with D in some lasts like Chippewa and Frye. I know the consensus is size down, but I'm guessing thats length. Just curious how TBC lasts fit width wise.
I had to break in my Captains for my small but wide duck feet. Hurt a bit but after a month they are most comfortable. I sized down a half from my normal dress shoe and a full size down from my current running shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads