• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits and vests

evolve1859

Reaction score
I like the look of a three piece suit. My question is, though, do you need to buy a three piece suit to wear a vest? Can you get a vest for a suit you already own? What are the "rules"?

Spong

Reaction score
Yes you can buy a vest to go with an existing suit but the general practice is don't try to get one to match as it never will unless it was cut from the same cloth. Get one which contrasts - so if, for example, you have a charcoal suit get a lighter grey and vice versa.

Main rule is to make sure the vest is long enough - you shouldn't be able to see any shirt at the bottom - the line from vest to trousers should be smooth and unbroken.

Hope this helps.

Matt S

Reaction score
An odd vest (waistcoat) should contrast the suit, and they look best in lighter colours. It shouldn't look like it was from another suit. Typically one would pair a light coloured solid waistcoat (like light grey, buff (beige) or light blue) with a dark grey or navy suit. IMO, light-coloured suits look out of place with a contrasting waistcoat, and they are more fitting with darker, more formal suits. Other than solids, checks and windowpanes can work too.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
bump, anymore comments on this?

Also, where do you buy just a high quality vest?

I suggest going to a tailor.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I suggest going to a tailor.

Are most tailors able to just make them? Is there canvassing in a vest? How much should it cost for a tailor made one?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump
fight[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Are most tailors able to just make them? Is there canvassing in a vest? How much should it cost for a tailor made one?
My tailor/s make them for me.

There are tailors at all different quality and price points. Have a talk with one.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what color vests would go with what color suits/sport coats?

Where can you buy a nice vest, and how do you know if it's long enough?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two colors I find useful are cream and light grey.

As for the right length ... any good tailor or haberdasher will be able to help you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads