• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts: TF Birdseye Sport Jacket

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I was recently handed a great deal on an unusual white/black birdseye blazer by Tom Ford and now it is just being delivered. Just would like some thoughts on the design.

I tend to be pretty contemporary in my style, so this represents me experimenting. I'm not entirely sure how someone would wear this. Just seeing if I can diversify my wardrobe in a good way. :) Worst case scenario I will just sell it.

Best,

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not going to be the easiest to wear. Birdseye is usually reserved for suits...so that will always look like an orphaned suit jacket. The patch pockets help casualize it, but I still can't think of many ways to wear it well. Also, are you sure that is legit? It looks off to me...you may want to ask here http://www.styleforum.net/t/231002/fake-or-real-authentic-genuine-etc-official-authentication-thread

That's how I was feeling - it looks a bit off. It is coming from "Wowniceshirts", so I assumed anything coming through them would be legit. I believe part of what is making it look off is that the mannequin underneath is not made for the suit's shape (a size 48F, drop 9.): the breast pocket appears too curved and long. It also appears that it is a single vent in the back, which is something TF is doing more of this year and I was informed that this is actually a more recent piece.

I both like and don't like it. That's why I went ahead and snagged it. There is a return policy. I will go ahead and post it on the authentication forum.

Thanks,

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell it. Triple patch mid-grey birdseye blazer is a contradiction and simply should never have been made. As Murl said, birdseye is typically suiting, and even if you wanted to look past that (which you really shouldn't), the fact that it's mid-grey will make it nearly impossible to pair with trousers. Whatever money you spent on this, even at a discount, would be better used expanding your wardrobe in some other way. :nodding:

Last edited:

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell it. Triple patch mid-grey birdseye blazer is a contradiction and simply should never have been made. As Murl said, birdseye is typically suiting, and even if you wanted to look past that (which you really shouldn't), the fact that it's mid-grey will make it nearly impossible to pair with trousers. Whatever money you spent on this, even at a discount, would be better used expanding your wardrobe in some other way.
nod[1].gif

Curious, why is birdseye typically for suiting? Would this be the same with herringbone, nailhead, ect....?

I do not mind selling it. I knew I was bound to make mistakes while attempting to improve my wardrobe. Only $300 for the thing. I simply love the fit of this model and I thought: who knows, maybe TF knows what he is doing and it looks better when worn. I was fortunate to find his more cliche suit for the same price in perfect condition and I love the thing.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sell it. Triple patch mid-grey birdseye blazer is a contradiction and simply should never have been made. As Murl said, birdseye is typically suiting, and even if you wanted to look past that (which you really shouldn't), the fact that it's mid-grey will make it nearly impossible to pair with trousers. Whatever money you spent on this, even at a discount, would be better used expanding your wardrobe in some other way. :nodding:

To be fair, it appears to be a pretty large birdseye and not as small of a pattern typical of birdseye suiting.

Also, TF/Zegna made it as an SC, not a suit jacket.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Curious, why is birdseye typically for suiting? Would this be the same with herringbone, nailhead, ect....?

Herringbone can span across suits and odd jackets because of the variety in scale and because it works well across a wide range of fabric types and colors. Nailhead and birdseye only work on worsted wools, and while they provide some visual depth, it doesn't get you into odd jacket territory. That's not a great explanation I'm sure, and others may be able to explain it in other contexts, but to me that's why those stay in suit land.

I do not mind selling it. I knew I was bound to make mistakes while attempting to improve my wardrobe.

We all do - and mistakes are important for learning, but on this one just let it go and use the money on a slightly better mistake :)

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, it appears to be a pretty large birdseye and not as small of a pattern typical of birdseye suiting.

Also, TF/Zegna made it as an SC, not a suit jacket.

That may be - but looking at the pictures could you (personally) really get behind it as an odd jacket? Plus as mentioned before, pairing it is going to be super annoying.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cj is 100% right on the money imo - the scale of the pattern tips it as an odd jacket (that plus the zegna tag lol). that fabric wouldn't work as a suit imo.

so op's question is how to style it? turtleneck and either light or dark trou or jeans.

the key is to not look at it as a "mid-grey" jacket but as a two-tone jacket (which is what it is after all). choose one or the other tone within the pattern. work with the one and "into" the other.

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cj is 100% right on the money imo - the scale of the pattern tips it as an odd jacket (that plus the zegna tag lol). that fabric wouldn't work as a suit imo.

so op's question is how to style it? turtleneck and either light or dark trou or jeans.

the key is to not look at it as a "mid-grey" jacket but as a two-tone jacket (which is what it is after all). choose one or the other tone within the pattern. work with the one and "into" the other.

Interesting styling suggestion, really pins an equestrian look to me. That's a good point about the mid-tray versus two tones. Would that suggest not pairing it say with the light blue dress shirt, as it is pictured here?

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone can span across suits and odd jackets because of the variety in scale and because it works well across a wide range of fabric types and colors. Nailhead and birdseye only work on worsted wools, and while they provide some visual depth, it doesn't get you into odd jacket territory. That's not a great explanation I'm sure, and others may be able to explain it in other contexts, but to me that's why those stay in suit land.
We all do - and mistakes are important for learning, but on this one just let it go and use the money on a slightly better mistake
smile.gif

That's interesting. When I think of a sports jacket, I do try to stay away from too unusual of jackets that have more character than I do
revolve.gif
. What you're saying makes sense to me. I guess I'm a bit of a cliche in that I more often orphan suit jackets - only recognizing recently that it is maybe not a good idea.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's interesting. When I think of a sports jacket, I do try to stay away from too unusual of jackets that have more character than I do :revolve:  . What you're saying makes sense to me. I guess I'm a bit of a cliche in that I more often orphan suit jackets - only recognizing recently that it is maybe not a good idea. 

Styleforum is a great place to get different points of view, and the other replies from @double00 and @Cj52racers are good examples of this. There's really no airtight right or wrong here but rather what I see as a high degree of difficulty. To me this jacket ends up with check marks in too many of the boxes that make it a lost cause: I have an (admittedly subjective) dislike for this particular fabric/make-up regardless of whether you can make the case for it being odd jacket fabric, my personal experience with this range of grey has been largely unsuccessful, and I've seen many other failed attempts that resemble this one.

But you know what, instead of selling it, keep it for a while. Try everything you can to find successful pairings. If you're feeling brave, post pics on the "what are you wearing thread" and see what feedback you get. I'm 95% sure you'll eventually stop wearing this jacket but there will be a lot of value in that journey - it could be the straw that breaks your admitted tendency to try to make orphan suit jackets work as odd jackets - and hey, if you manage to find a way to style it that you like, then more power to you!

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly one of the reasons why I joined this place. I do not have anyone in my life that I think would have meaningful criticism. I plan on doing what you're saying. It will arrive, I'll play a bit, and then make a decision. I was not aware of that other thread "what are you wearing". That's neat.

Thanks for all of this feedback so far.

I am curious what that "F" stands for after the 48. I'm assuming there may be some Italian word for regular that begins with "F" as opposed to "R".

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is a great place to get different points of view, and the other replies from @double00 and @Cj52racers are good examples of this. There's really no airtight right or wrong here but rather what I see as a high degree of difficulty. To me this jacket ends up with check marks in too many of the boxes that make it a lost cause: I have an (admittedly subjective) dislike for this particular fabric/make-up regardless of whether you can make the case for it being odd jacket fabric, my personal experience with this range of grey has been largely unsuccessful, and I've seen many other failed attempts that resemble this one.

But you know what, instead of selling it, keep it for a while. Try everything you can to find successful pairings. If you're feeling brave, post pics on the "what are you wearing thread" and see what feedback you get. I'm 95% sure you'll eventually stop wearing this jacket but there will be a lot of value in that journey - it could be the straw that breaks your admitted tendency to try to make orphan suit jackets work as odd jackets - and hey, if you manage to find a way to style it that you like, then more power to you!

Agree! :)
That is the nice thing about fashion. There are guidelines, but not really rules.

I think the jacket can work with quite a few combos and is quintessential TF because of blurring between formal/casual that he does so well. I can seen why it would be off putting to some though. For the really low cost, it is worth the shot and trying out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads