• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this overcoat

Rrd0084

Reaction score
I don't normally wear suits so I am thinking about shortening it. It normally falls below the knee

I think it looks good but my concern is the bottom button it falls below the waist and can't recall seeing many coats like that.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Last edited:

MeachamLake

Reaction score
You're right about the bottom button placement - it would look strange. Plus, when you shorten it that much, it begins to look like an awkwardly long suit jacket rather than a coat.

I would probably leave it as is and invest in a new coat which suits your needs better.

Rrd0084

Reaction score
^ I was hoping to not hear that but I think I will go forward with the shortening for a couple of reasons.

The main one being it is an older Oxford overcoat that I thrifted so I doubt I will find something better for the price.

I also don't think the lowest button is as low as I had imagine it is just below the waist and above the sleeve ends.

There is a small hole at the bottom of the coat that if I shorten the coat would be a non issue.

That photo isn't great so I will post another photo and then post and after.

This is what I suspect it will look like after I get it altered.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. I will also post this in the alterations thread to see what they think. Thx

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat is out of proportion as it is pinned up.
Tou might look into having the hole repaired.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to be second hand and previously butchered. I'd burn it and start again with something new which meets your requirements. Second hand for its own sake is a waste of money however cheap the purchase.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
You can do what you like since you've already bought it, but I think you should leave it alone. I see you're also pulling it from the rear, indicating that you want it to have some more waist suppression. The latter may be beneficial if you're planning to wear it over shirt/jumper.

Don't get hung up on the length of the coat just because shorter coats are the fashion of the moment. Get it mildly suppressed if you really want to, but leave the length for now and wear it for a while.

It's probably not too much trouble to get hold of a shorter coat to scratch that itch. It's good to have more than one choice in your wardrobe. You may appreciate the slightly longer coat in cold weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads