• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this overcoat and alternatives?

mm1212

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased this coat on Saturday at the BB sale in charcoal: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

After the additional 15% off, it came out to $570ish... After trying it on again at home, I'm not too sure if I want to keep the coat. The highest button is rather low, and I'm concerned that the coat will not keep me warm on colder days. However, I loved its length, fit, and that it is treated with LP storm system. Will this coat keep me warm in the suburban Northeast winter when I'm wearing it with a suit and scarf? I won't be walking around in the city with this.

What would be some solid alternatives? I'd probably be willing to spend $700 or so. I'm a new attorney, so I'm looking to get some longevity out of this. I'd be interested in a coat that's dark in color - navy or charcoal. I'm fairly slim, and I got the above coat in a 40r. Notably, I'm also about to begin practicing as an attorney.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a nice coat. If you're not outside for long periods then it could be fine, but given where you are I'd want something heavier.

sh1zy

Reaction score
how is that coat 45" long? the same model is in this picture, (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=), and the coat is only 2" longer, but it's mid-shin instead of above the knee. anyway, i'm starting as a new attorney, too, and picked up the linked cashmere one today. i haven't had a chance to wear it to work yet, but i don't really question whether it'll get me through the depths of winter. you can't get too heavy duty because you'll start sweating. after all, you're wearing an undershirt, a shirt, possibly a suit jacket, a scarf, and then this coat, which probably weighs 4-5 lbs.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a middle-aged state government attorney. that is a nice coat which you could get the equivalent of for less. Buy a nice suit for the money instead.

mm1212

Reaction score
Sh1zy: It's been a few days since i've tried it on, but the coat went to about my knees. In the most recent catalog, I recall the coat's length seemed strange on that model, too. That's a good point that one shouldn't wear too heavy of a coat.

KObalto: I appreciate your input. Presently, I think I'm pretty set with suits. What coat would you recommend?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a nice coat, can't say it's really worth what you paid for it. I liek that it is a slightly less weight then most or at least appears to be, I get hot very easy and don't wear mine so much because of the fact.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest a charcoal gray full length double breasted overcoat; belt optional.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I'd suggest a charcoal gray full length double breasted overcoat; belt optional.

Certainly Not a bad idea...

PDF03-07-CH.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mm1212

Reaction score
London Lounge is definitely out of my range.

I think I'm interested in a single breasted coat that's approximately 3/4 length. Also based on my generally slim build, I'm hesitant to order something online from a place from whom I can not try on their clothes beforehand at a store or who does not offer free returns or shipping - in case I'm not pleased with the fit, I'd rather not incur several shipping costs. Generally I wear a 39r for suits so I'm kind of a tweener with sizes.

viator

Reaction score
I'm a new attorney as well, and I'm pretty sure this is the coat I bought shortly after I started work last year. I bought it around this time and paid about what you did. I'm not enough of an expert to say what else you could get for the price, but so far it's holding up well, keeping me warm (in NYC/CT), and looking great.

brooklyn

Reaction score
I would recommend visiting FIH and and see what they have. I tried on the DB jacket that was pictured above and it fit really well. I liked the fit but i preferred the single brested jacket instead. contact jonathan and he will be more than happy to speak with you.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fasdff