• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Aero leather jacket

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
Thanks for everyone's replies. After a lengthy discussion with Will from Aero Leather Clothing, I think I'm going to go with the Aero Cossack and start working on the details.

On a side note, I took a late lunch break today and was walking around Manhattan, enjoying the much anticipated beautiful weather, and walked in the Cockpit USA Store on Broadway between Bleeker and Bond. Guess what? They had the WWII Black Tanker Jacket and it was on sale for 50% off retail! Tried on the last large left in the store and bought it! Coincidentally, they started marking down all of this past winter's items-sales everywhere. There were two Tanker leather jackets left in a medium size if anyone's interested.

Cockpit USA, the WWII Leather Tanker Jacket: http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/prod...cat=395&page=1

As mentioned above, I am still working on getting that Aero Jacket but now that I have a black leather jacket, it makes my color choice all the more confusing since I was leaning on getting the Aero Cossack in Black FQHH...

rbny,

can you post pics of your tanker?

rbny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
rbny,

can you post pics of your tanker?

I'll try to take pics tomorrow and post it. It's a little shorter than I would like (I measured it at about 26 inches for a size large) and although not a bad leather jacket, it looked nicer in the pics-especially around the collar of the jacket. It's a really soft jacket and it was hard to resist at 50% off, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it.
plain.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
It's a little shorter than I would like (I measured it at about 26 inches for a size large)

You would like an Aero long 50's halfbelt which measures roughly 28".

rbny

Reaction score
I looked at the Aero long HB but it's hard to tell how long it is without knowing its actual dimensions. Thank you for the suggestions. One of the things I have discussed with Will from Aero Clothing is getting the Cossack at a longer length, about 27.5-28 inches which Will thought was a good idea after I a gave him my approximate height, weight, etc. At this point I'm fairly certain about ordering the Aero Cossack at longer length. I just need to figure out other details for my first (not counting the Tanker I bought today
plain.gif
) leather jacket in ten years. I owned a Vanson Dakota which didn't fit me as well as I liked so I gave it to a good friend after having it for a few years.

Now what to do about the color
confused.gif
. I welcome suggestions. Keep in mind that this may be my only leather jacket and now that I plan on not keeping the tanker, I am once again thinking about getting this in black FQ Horse Hide.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't get black, but it sounds like what you want. Get what makes you happy. It's a big purchase, but a high quality one. It ought to last you for decades.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit the flag background has me puzzled. The greatest American patriots wore frilly cravats and knee breeches.
cool.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
color wise in the highwayman, this does it for me (x-post from leather jacket thread):

2n1hooo.jpg

2nur609.jpg

r8b8lx.jpg

2pq4xee.jpg

xgksbs.jpg
[/quote]

Cordovan color steerhide with brown alpaca lining (not into horse hide). I'm dissappointed at the price increase but quite frankly at $800 it is still a steal.

For black, would love a bootlegger.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Aero cordovan is that it bleeds profusely for quite awhile. I would get brown if that is a problem. Black won't show the nice distressing that brown will.

jimbo123

Reaction score
For those of you that have bought a jacket from Aero before (via the ebay merchant), what is the process normally like?

Lear

Reaction score
For anyone considering an Aero, I'd suggest heading over to TheFedoraLounge first. Do spend a few weeks perusing all Aero posts in the Outerwear section. Many people place rushed orders, only to discover six months later, the limitless possibilities for customization and improvement. An Aero will last a lifetime. Take the time to research and get it right
smile.gif
Lear (the ugly one)

Narwhale

Reaction score
Yep, I've already learned a ton that I would have had no idea about otherwise. For example, the corduroy panel at the bottom of the jacket to prevent the lining from wearing at the bottom. Plus all the different options for cuffs, linings, etc.

rbny

Reaction score
I had to the opportunity to get rid of the black leather Tanker Jacket right away before I could take pics-sorry. I bought the Schott Cafe Racer slim jacket in black after visiting the Epaulet store and trying it on. I was actually just planning on trying it on for size as a reference and decided to buy it after putting on the XL. It fit me perfectly in the chest and shoulders (but a tad large in the waist area) and it wasn't too short which was my main concern with cafe/motorcycle-type jackets. This one is definitely a keeper.

Here is the link to the Schott/Epaulet Cafe Racer Jkt: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Leather/Detail

My only concern now with that jacket is that I prefer to wear dark brown boots/shoes. There's lots of opinions on that but I think I can do it.

I will still get that Aero Jacket but now I'm sure that I want a dark brown or possibly cordovan color in FQ Horse Hide.

jc1234

Reaction score
I know Im rehashing a dead thread, but just as an FYI. If you go right through Scotland and deal with Amanda or Will, Aero will custom cut to your measurements for no extra charges. They also will custom design a jacket for you for a VERY minimal charge. Ive had both of my Aero's custom built from the ground up, chosen the specific leather I wanted (weight, color, etc), had them combine features of different styles, custom made collars, and custom sized, all for about $75.00 more than the stock price. I have a number of jackets from a number of great manufacturers, but I with these options, I just dont see myself ever buying another brand again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads