• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Elbow Patches (Sport Jackets)?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I don't currently own any sport jackets with elbow patches, but I have seen a one or two before in person (really only on brown jackets) and I like the idea of possibly adding patches to one of my jackets. This would be for aesthetic purposes only since none of my jacket elbows have blown out. What do you think of elbow patches? Any examples anybody would like to share?

Also; light jacket with darker elbow patch VS dark jacket with lighter elbow patch? These are the two I own that I would consider adding patches to (but I would probably only do it to one or the other). A light brown S&M tweed herringbone and a darker S&M chocolate moleskin. Any insight is appreciated!

Light Brown herringbone.jpg

Chocolate moleksin.jpg

Hellbent

Reaction score
I would only add them out of necessity. And it's a dress down. For instance If you wear it with well worn cords and generally aim for that scruffy elegance, no problem.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Elbow patches added to repair threadbare areas: Cool, because you (or someone else) wore it, repaired it, and still wear it. Cool because it has history and commitment to keeping it in use.

Brand new shooting jacket with leather elbow patches, leather at the shoulder, etc: Probably cool, definitely cool vintage, though if you buy it brand new without ever intending to go shooting that's kind of tryhard IMO

Brand new tweed jacket, not designed for a specific practical use, with elbow patches: Not cool to me, because it's trying to be something it's not: worn enough that the elbows need repair. Some have used the term "stolen valor" which is tongue in cheek of course.

I would just wear your jackets as is. If in ten or twenty or thirty years they need elbow patches, then add them.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I thought this was an update to the Bookcore thread /s

Seriously though, if you like the look of elbow patches and can handle being told that you look like a college professor, go ahead and add them. I've had them on numerous sportcoats and cardigan sweaters over the years and they aren't any more affected than a ticket pocket or wearing a pocket square.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had leather elbow patches and leather patches for the cuffs on my school blazer. Anything to get another year’s wear out of it. Buy it too big, just before term started. Grow into it. Watch it fade and discolour. Eventually replace it.

Jim Wood

Reaction score
I don't currently own any sport jackets with elbow patches, but I have seen a one or two before in person (really only on brown jackets) and I like the idea of possibly adding patches to one of my jackets. This would be for aesthetic purposes only since none of my jacket elbows have blown out. What do you think of elbow patches? Any examples anybody would like to share?

Also; light jacket with darker elbow patch VS dark jacket with lighter elbow patch? These are the two I own that I would consider adding patches to (but I would probably only do it to one or the other). A light brown S&M tweed herringbone and a darker S&M chocolate moleskin. Any insight is appreciated!

View attachment 2090183

View attachment 2090185
When I was still a high school English teacher, I had a slide presentation on commonly misused words. One of the slides had two photos of sport coats. One photo was of a dearly loved and often worn jacket with elbow patches and an added strip of leather around the cuffs, and the other was a stock photo of a new jacket with patches. The photo helped students understand the difference between affect and effect. I personally would stick with patching a jacket that needed patching and not for affect. However, I think it’s a viable personal option to wear a new jacket that comes with patches. Just my 2 cents.

paxonus

Reaction score
When I was still a high school English teacher, I had a slide presentation on commonly misused words. One of the slides had two photos of sport coats. One photo was of a dearly loved and often worn jacket with elbow patches and an added strip of leather around the cuffs, and the other was a stock photo of a new jacket with patches. The photo helped students understand the difference between affect and effect. I personally would stick with patching a jacket that needed patching and not for affect. However, I think it’s a viable personal option to wear a new jacket that comes with patches. Just my 2 cents.
Oops! Either you or the lesson was wrong. Patches on a jacket are used for effect, not affect. If someone is seeking to draw attention, they are doing something for effect.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an academic, the patches on the elbows are a very well regarded and batural look on corduroy and tweed jackets. I don't mind looking the part of my profession.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
As for me, I quite like wearing this highly informal if not rustic Donegal Moon tweed jacket which came with brown suede elbow patches. Dorky or not - couldn’t care less.

Attachments

• PNG-Bild.png
    PNG-Bild.png
    832.1 KB · Views: 534

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads