• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoghts RLBL black pinstripe suit

blacklabel

Reaction score
I saw an RLBL suit in their NY store that was black with narrow and thin/light pinstripes. I wanted to post a link, but it seems to be sold out on their online store (disappeared like 3 days ago).

For those who have a good memory...what did you think of this suit? I really wanted the navy/charcoal, but couldn't find any in my size.

A customer service representative told me that they should be restocking the navy/charcoal RLBL suits as it is one of their staples, but has no idea when it would be. Anyone know how fast these suits sell out? Should I just get the pinstripe now on sale, or try to wait for the navy/charcoal? I'm not expecting to find one for $500, but I don't want to pay full retail either so I'm hoping to get something during the current sale...

foggy

Reaction score
They had that suit in their window display in the store I went into yesterday. It looked very nice.

I was looking for a charcoal suit, and bought one, but if they hadnt had my size I would certainly have looked at the pinstripe too.

If you get the sizing right, surely they can get one in from another store?

blacklabel

Reaction score
If you get the sizing right, surely they can get one in from another store?
I called their customer service and was told that there was not a single navy or charcoal 36 left in the world, and there are only 2 of the pinstripe 36s in other stores

being small sucks

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blacklabel
I called their customer service and was told that there was not a single navy or charcoal 36 left in the world, and there are only 2 of the pinstripe 36s in other stores being small sucks
Heh. I've been talking to two Sales Associates to grab the navy suits in 36. One of the SAs told me I bought the last one.
devil.gif
laugh.gif
Personally, I wouldn't pick up a pinstripe unless you already have a nice collection of suits. There are too many seasonal patterns that can pass as staples. Lastly, I recommend checking out the Polo Ralph Lauren Bradford cut. Seriously. SkinnyGoomba recommended it to me a while ago, and I just recently had a chance to try one on. Honestly, it's probably one of the most underrated suits on here, and RLBL is possibly one of the most overrated. My next suit is probably going to be a PRL Bradford.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bugatti.veyron
How does the fit compare to RLBL? The only one I see on their website is a tuxedo

http://www.ralphlauren.com/search/su...rigkw=bradford

And is it canvassed? At MSRP, you're only probably paying about 15-20% more for the RLBL vs the PRL Bradford, and if only the RLBL is canvassed, I'd say it's worth it.

Also, were it not for the notch lapel/two button jacket, that would be a really sharp looking tux!

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
And is it canvassed? At MSRP, you're only probably paying about 15-20% more for the RLBL vs the PRL Bradford, and if only the RLBL is canvassed, I'd say it's worth it.

Also, were it not for the notch lapel/two button jacket, that would be a really sharp looking tux!

The PRL Bradford is canvassed. It's just as slim as the RLBL, but without the strong padded shoulders, which makes is much more versatile.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
The PRL Bradford is canvassed. It's just as slim as the RLBL, but without the strong padded shoulders, which makes is much more versatile.

Very interesting, will have to check that out next time I'm in an RL store! I do happen to like the RLBL shoulders; for one they say "don't **** with me" and for two they are a nice structural touch on a guy like me who has fairly narrow shoulders (though I don't wear the jackets a size up or anything like that).

If the fit on is like RLBL or anything like that tux on the site, I'm guessing I'll end up with one at some point. And the more I look at that tux, the more I like it in spite of its lapels/buttons. Looks like a nice summer tux for an outdoor black tie event (though I wouldn't buy it as my only one).

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred

I've never seen one that is (same goes for Garrison cut). You 100% on that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads