• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This board is unrecognisable

LaymanX

Reaction score
And how about that B/S forum? How many times have you see the Want To Buy ad for the Zegna centennial derby?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The forum has changed for the better and for the worse but it doesn't really matter.

Seamless

Reaction score
I dislike most of the AV here. It's pretty much 99% the same stuff on everyone. I haven't seen a Formosa jacket that I've really been impressed with. I stay for the David Reeves thread bc he makes some nice stuff, for the B&S and of course to make people upset with breaking the rules.

CSG123

Reaction score
What I find vexing are these threads that have thousands and thousands of posts. It keeps new guys like me from being able to join in. I'm not going to read 50,000 posts in a thread under any circumstances.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What I find vexing are these threads that have thousands and thousands of posts.  It keeps new guys like me from being able to join in.  I'm not going to read 50,000 posts in a thread under any circumstances.

Welcome to the forum, CSG. You can jump into any of them at any time...all of us have at some point.

Seamless

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, CSG. You can jump into any of them at any time...all of us have at some point.

^This. I have some threads I just stay subbed to for ideas on what I'd want to buy at a later date. There's a Balmoral cap toe thread I probably visit once a week to see what everyone's wearing and to read about last as I'm a shoetard

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to follow the TOJ thread to remind me how lucky I am for not being able to afford it.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thankful for the older members that (whether intentional or not) provided us with knowledge and passion, for all sartorial things. Not unlike tenured professors, they taught countless students and shared that knowledge many times. Retirement was the next natural progression for them.

This is the part where i share blame with other long time members. We have struggled to step up and give back. To become teachers ourselves, even if our lessons would be more high school than college level. We have left that job to the AV's and blogs, which have their own interests in mind. So I understand why it's hard to break down the group think and ad driven brand whoring that the newer members get caught up in.

The waters are muddied out there, and i'm not sure how to navigate through them myself, let alone contribute something meaningful again. I rarely post on SF now, i'm a silent observer once again. Not sure of how I can help, or if anyone is even asking for help more...

Sam H

Reaction score
I pretty much lurk and consult google searches with Ask Andy and Styleforum as the domain limiters on a regular basis. I have lurked probably for a year or two longer than I have been registered. I still see this place as a discussion of menswear and not just brand affiliate stuff, but I don't regularly contribute as I don't have much to add. I guess to some degree, it's like a growing archive to me.

Lurking has insanely boosted my knowledge of menswear, even though I don't get to put it to much use in real life. However, I know what to look for in clothing now much more than I used to I have matured vicariously through other posters who get to dress up more often :) After years of using this place to consult for casual brands or the few times a year I needed to look nice and just general menswear history, I'm planning on taking the plunge and getting more generally useable tailored clothing and not caring that the people around me might think I'm "too dressed up".

Also, in regards to what that guy said above about 50,000 post threads, that's kind of true. I get the appeal of megathreads for archival reasons but at the same time, I think maybe discussion flows better to some degree when there are regularly created short threads, even if there ends up being some overlap. The tradeoff, of course, is that people who know what they are talking about get sick of explaining things to newbies who can't search properly and probably also sick of the increased surface area of their comments with which they invite argumentative attitudes, as is common on the internet. You make five posts, instead of one and it's more likely someone will yell at you in regards to at least one of those posts and then you have to have an internet argument or just be angry.

I don't ever feel comfortable creating a new thread because I feel like my questions must have been answered somewhere on the board, but sometimes it's nice to start a fresh discussion. For example, let's say I wanted to ask something along the lines of: Would a navy hopsack blazer go with a pair of mid-gray fresco trousers in the same way a navy serge blazer would go with a pair of mid-gray flannels or would the hopsack and fresco weaves not be contrasting enough texturally? Or perhaps: Are there any good example photographs of people wearing saturated dark colored shirts or is the look always going to be misguided? I would introduce into evidence Daniel Craig in an electric royal blue shirt that doesn't look as bad as one would expect and then let people debate whether it's because of the lighting and the fact it's Daniel Craig, or whether it is in fact possible but too played out by newbies making the mistake that shiny, saturated dark "dress" shirts are the way to go.

Things of that nature seem to be what the OP maybe is describing and they are examples of things I search for, but I never really make threads on.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The mega threads serve a useful purpose. How else would a new person immediately diagnose into which pit he should throw his robokopping dollars to earn SF cred most efficiently?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For example, let's say I wanted to ask something along the lines of: Would a navy hopsack blazer go with a pair of mid-gray fresco trousers in the same way a navy serge blazer would go with a pair of mid-gray flannels or would the hopsack and fresco weaves not be contrasting enough texturally? Or perhaps: Are there any good example photographs of people wearing saturated dark colored shirts or is the look always going to be misguided? I would introduce into evidence Daniel Craig in an electric royal blue shirt that doesn't look as bad as one would expect and then let people debate whether it's because of the lighting and the fact it's Daniel Craig, or whether it is in fact possible but too played out by newbies making the mistake that shiny, saturated dark "dress" shirts are the way to go.

Thanks, Sam. That's more or less what I had in mind. There used to be far more threads of this sort, and they'd contain articulate discussions that didn't necessarily descend into matters of shopping. And so the first page would be varied and interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads