• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's really sneaky of her. I would argue irregardless.

Agreed. I'm not married, nor have ever been. But if my girlfriend (we're serious) did something like that, it'd be a real good reason for me to reconsider our relationship.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love dogs (I've got two), but crazy and irresponsible dog owners are ******* pissing me off.

I was walking my dogs early this morning a little before 6am and this unbalanced late 30-ish woman walks right up to me with her chihuahua and says: "Let them play! Let them play!" while immediately unleashing her dog. My dogs start to get riled up (because there's an unleashed chihuahua yapping at them) and I start get tangled up with their leashes and then all hell breaks loose when my dogs start really getting riled up (biting/barking and teaming up on the little dog). The woman starts to yell at me frantically asking why I didn't warn her my dogs wanted to fight.

People with little dogs are the worst. One of my dogs is a rescue and part pit bull. I've worked very hard to train her to stay calm towards other dogs on leashes, but when dogs approach snarling and growling it's too much for her. So many people with small dogs don't train them at all, or even pay attention. There's one lady who has some little terrier and always passes us talking on the phone while the things pulls hard on its leash and sends my dogs into a hissy fit. I've started turning the other way when I see her because I hate having to punish my dog for having a natural reaction to threatening behavior.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of all the arcane SF "rules" regarding acceptable dress, I find the the distaste for black suits to be unique in that it is the most universally true yet hardest to articulate appropriately when you encounter resistance to it.

I tried to explain one time to a lawyer that I worked with that he shouldn't wear black suits with black shirts and black ties. No luck. I realized later I should have told him that it just didn't look right without an apron.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a smaller dog that's some kind of mix. She is great indoors but barks while on a leash. She also nips at other dogs at the park. I have no idea how to train her. She's getting better and its not terrible. But short of whacking her on the nose I have no idea what to do.

Its the real tiny one, "Squirrel."

u4uzasu3.jpg

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I have a smaller dog that's some kind of mix. She is great indoors but barks while on a leash. She also nips at other dogs at the park. I have no idea how to train her. She's getting better and its not terrible. But short of whacking her on the nose I have no idea what to do.

u4uzasu3.jpg

Cute. Looks like she has some Australian shepherd in the mix.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every dog is different, but I found that a lot of my instincts (yelling at her, hitting her) were actually counterproductive. She started to associate the other dogs with me losing my temper, and it just made her more agitated. A couple of things worked for me:

a) keeping her on a short leash, right beside me instead of out in fron

b) in the beginning, when another dog passed by, I would make the dog sit and look at me. I would get down on her level and keep talking in a calm voice until the other dog passed. If she would stay relatively calm, I would praise her and we would continue on. If she lost her temper we would sit until she had remained calm. After that began to work consistently, we would continue our pace as the other dogs approached, but the calm speech and praise continued. Basically still does, although there are some dogs that I know we can pass consistently without any drama and those we just walk past normally.

It's kind of a pain because it requires your attention to be on the dog rather than letting your mind wander or listening to your ipod. It's part of why I still prefer to walk the dogs really early in the morning when we see fewer other dogs.

dlm4114

Reaction score

u4uzasu3.jpg

I've found that hitting your pup with a spray or two from a regular spray bottle/mister right in the nose/eyes area works pretty well for reining in bad behavior. This is the sort of bottle I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Tolco-Bottle-...8&qid=1370447479&sr=8-1&keywords=spray+bottle

Could be worth a shot.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's a great dog. The other one, Abby, is too. Abby chews and snores (lol). Other than that, she's great.

Squirrel is the perfect small house dog other than her etiquette on a leash. She loves to sit on your lap, listens (for the most part) and is friendly after a while. And she doesn't bark like a Chihuahua or anything, never in the house... but she does bark at other dogs. And nips if off the leash. Luckily none of the dogs at the park have fought back. They just stare, looking in disbelief. She nipped at a mastive a while ago.

She nipped at my dad a few months ago but she's never nipped at anyone else since. And he did reach kind of fast.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I tried contact lenses for the first time today and it kind of sucked. I was blinking repeatedly the whole time and my supposed prescription one made my vision worse. Is there some sort of adjustment period?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could never wear contacts. Touching my eyeball freaks me out. I'd rather go to the dentist than the eye doctor. Eye stuff sucks.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yes, there is an adjustment, especially if it's your first time. It's kind of like getting new glasses, for the first hour or so the lenses will feel a little wonky and vision odd, and then they settle right in. I just dealt with this yesterday.

your vision shouldn't be worse though. Unless you were rubbing your eyes a lot, and this caused irritation plus excessive tears, etc. Those will all affect how well you see from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads