• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been a long day, longer than I have wanted but cable Si Fi is showing The City on the Edge of Forever. This would have to be my all time favourite episode of Star Trek, it’s been like 15 years since I have seen this so I am rapt. It is one of the best episodes of the original Star Trek written by Harlon Elison. I have read a couple of books of his and he worked with Roy Thomas on the Avengers at one stage. So its just about to start then …………………. the wife answers the mobile and its our son he has just been involved in an accident. I try and follow the conversation, the first thing that comes to the surface is that has anyone been injured, has an ambulance been called. No. OK what the **** is going on. Thankfully where its occurred is only a a klick away. So we drive then to find out what is going on.

We get there and I see that the whole right hand side,the drivers side in Oz of his car has been creamed he is lucky to be alive. Its that simple. He is in shock his mother is now in shock but, me no time that I have to stay focused and find out what has happened.

I see the other driver she has just given details to my wife but you can tell she is in a bad way. The Police are not coming as no one has to go to hospital, WTF?. His mother is in the car dealing with him and I speak to the young woman. She is in shock, shaking badly she knows how close to a total ******* disaster the situation has come too. I get her to sit down and we talk, **** the insurance we are going be crucified anyway. We talk for about ten minutes it could be longer but time is stretching out. I keep looking at my son he has not moved from behind the wheel of the car since the accident. My wife is also in shock, a few people from houses come out to see what is going on. Are we making that much noise?

I am with the other driver we talk, she tells me this I tell her that, meanwhile I can see and hear my wife talking with our son. My wife is trying to keep it under control our son is losing it. The other driver is in shock, trembling, not as violently as when I first spoke with her but still. She knows how close to a pine box both my son and her have come too. Eventually she is able to drive back to her place which is only a klick away.

Time has slowed right down at this point everything is in slow motion. I know that I am in shock it was seeing the drivers side of the car that did it for me. But having worked in mental health all that old training has kicked in. There is an accident, is anyone injured no. Ok what is going on then. Focus someone has to stay in charge here and your it.

The wife and I deal with our son, time for the Police later. He cant open the drivers side door but we can get him to drive home. We get him home and then it blows up he was being an idiot and he admits this. Major argument ensures I simply cannot cope with him at present after what has happened. So I walk out and call up a mate.

My mate has a son the same age and I find out from him his son has skipped the reservation earlier today and he has no idea where he is. I buy a six pack of premixed OP Bundy, by now I know I am running on pure adrenaline . Its only when I leave the supermarket that I realise that the stupid teenage girl on the checkout has charged me for a can instead of a six pack. $6 versus $30. ******* I arrive at my mates place we talk compare our sorrows and I realise that my son could have been killed tonight due to his stupidity. WTF I know I am in still in shock five hours later I as its now 1.30am I am wide awake and the alcohol I have drunk tonight has done nothing to take the edge off.

Can someone please tell me what is going on here? ******* there has to be something at this time of night on cable as I am a long way from sleep.

PS I hope the **** this makes sense.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Update to yesterday's post in this thread:
2. As I reflect more, I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible for me to have done what the cop wrote me a ticket for doing. I think he just must have been jealous of my car and wanted to bring me down a peg. (The first sentence is truer than the second.)

go into the police station and ask to file a complaint against the officer. or, try a letter to the chief of police. call and ask for their information. make sure to clearly state your spotless driving record, along with the utter inability of you to have done what you did.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

go into the police station and ask to file a complaint against the officer. or, try a letter to the chief of police. call and ask for their information. make sure to clearly state your spotless driving record, along with the utter inability of you to have done what you did.

Yes, by all means, sign yourself up for the "Police Dept List of Troublemakers to look out for and harass at every possible moment" Club.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^this has worked for me.

I did get a legitimate ticket last year in NY (near the Canadian Boarder) because I didn't fully move over for the "move over law" - which is to move over a lane if a cop has a car pulled over in the shoulder. I explained that I thought there was an accident I was a doctor and maybe I could be of help. The cop was cool enough to downgrade it a "obstructed license plate" violation. $150 ticket vs the 3pts and $450 ticket for not moving over for a pulled over cop.

But then I thought "**** this, I've never gotten a moving violation ticket in my 17 years of driving and I did move over just not fully into the other lane" so I wrote a letter with a small diagram of the situation. They were obviously setting up "move over law" traps by having an unmarked large police SUV sit behind and obstructing a police car that previously pulled over a car (for speeding or whatever). Since the law was only implemented in NYS in January that year they were setting up these traps all over and obviously making great quotas.

I even sent them pictures of my new unobstructed license plates (which only had the dealer frames on them anyway).

I was totally nice though and commended the officer (she was actually nice) and mentioned my spotless record (as to moving violations).

I was never charged for the ticket, even the downgraded obstructed plate one.

I guess it helps to just state the facts, then appeal to the Cop's ego and complement him for doing his job/his cordial manner/ect. even if they guy was being a dick.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I went to Larry Lawerence this weekend and I thought of you. Ever been?

damn that bar is hidden huh? I had to look it up in Google Maps. :lol:

its weirdly shielded by the BQE so its not like you're going to randomly drive by it... you really have to be going there.

its it any good? I don't drink, but my wife does... she actually gets less talkative when she's buzzed, so I'll make margaritas on sunday to shut her up when I want to watch football in peace.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

its it any good? I don't drink, but my wife does... she actually gets less talkative when she's buzzed, so I'll make margaritas on sunday to shut her up when I want to watch football in peace.

this is the funniest thing I've read in a while. just picturing you serving your wife at 12:35 in anticipation of a 1 start makes me chuckle.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It has been a long day, longer than I have wanted but cable Si Fi is showing The City on the Edge of Forever. This would have to be my all time favourite episode of Star Trek, it’s been like 15 years since I have seen this so I am rapt. It is one of the best episodes of the original Star Trek written by Harlon Elison. I have read a couple of books of his and he worked with Roy Thomas on the Avengers at one stage. So its just about to start then …………………. the wife answers the mobile and its our son he has just been involved in an accident. I try and follow the conversation, the first thing that comes to the surface is that has anyone been injured, has an ambulance been called. No. OK what the **** is going on. Thankfully where its occurred is only a a klick away. So we drive then to find out what is going on.
We get there and I see that the whole right hand side,the drivers side in Oz of his car has been creamed he is lucky to be alive. Its that simple. He is in shock his mother is now in shock but, me no time that I have to stay focused and find out what has happened.
I see the other driver she has just given details to my wife but you can tell she is in a bad way. The Police are not coming as no one has to go to hospital, WTF?. His mother is in the car dealing with him and I speak to the young woman. She is in shock, shaking badly she knows how close to a total ******* disaster the situation has come too. I get her to sit down and we talk, **** the insurance we are going be crucified anyway. We talk for about ten minutes it could be longer but time is stretching out. I keep looking at my son he has not moved from behind the wheel of the car since the accident. My wife is also in shock, a few people from houses come out to see what is going on. Are we making that much noise?
I am with the other driver we talk, she tells me this I tell her that, meanwhile I can see and hear my wife talking with our son. My wife is trying to keep it under control our son is losing it. The other driver is in shock, trembling, not as violently as when I first spoke with her but still. She knows how close to a pine box both my son and her have come too. Eventually she is able to drive back to her place which is only a klick away.

Of all the things you should be focussing on now...it is being thankful that you still have a son to be angry at. Go home, give him a hug and make sure he learned a valuable lesson.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Of all the things you should be focussing on now...it is being thankful that you still have a son to be angry at. Go home, give him a hug and make sure he learned a valuable lesson.

THIS.

Given that things could have been so much worse - count your blessings!

(and take the car away for a week or twenty)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

damn that bar is hidden huh? I had to look it up in Google Maps. :lol:
its weirdly shielded by the BQE so its not like you're going to randomly drive by it... you really have to be going there.

:laugh:

Yeah, there isn't any sign or anything. It has been there for years so it is no secret to people who have been around. It is right by Lodge, which if you haven't eaten there I suggest doing so.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:laugh:
Yeah, there isn't any sign or anything. It has been there for years so it is no secret to people who have been around. It is right by Lodge, which if you haven't eaten there I suggest doing so.

^its funny you mentioned that, because my wife and I found the Lodge by driving around aimlessly on a Sunday morning two years ago. Despite the super duper hipster freaks that eat inside the Lodge, I've also seen some of the most non hipster-y beautiful women in NYC eating brunch there too. but we never actually plan on eating there... its always random .

my personal fave brunch there is the fried green tomato BLT + egg w/ sweet potato fries:

6419319435_386064ef56_z.jpg

^I tried to take a pic of this super hot girl w/ huge knockers jangling in a black tank top but all I ended up shooting was this stupid meal. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is pissing me off or making me happy, but i was already in this thread. i was browsing a particular blog, and a female co-worker happened to enter my office. i unsuccessfully tried to toggle away. her response.

"HOLY NUDITY"

:facepalm:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^its funny you mentioned that, because my wife and I found the Lodge by driving around aimlessly on a Sunday morning two years ago. Despite the super duper hipster freaks that eat inside the Lodge, I've also seen some of the most non hipster-y beautiful women in NYC eating brunch there too. but we never actually plan on eating there... its always random .
my personal fave brunch there is the fried green tomato BLT + egg w/ sweet potato fries:
^I tried to take a pic of this super hot girl w/ huge knockers jangling in a black tank top but all I ended up shooting was this stupid meal. :(

I have always eaten there randomly as well. I think I had about a 6 hour brunch there one Saturday with a ton of people. I think everybody except me who goes there is an insanely hot model.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have always eaten there randomly as well. I think I had about a 6 hour brunch there one Saturday with a ton of people. I think everybody except me who goes there is an insanely hot model.

Don't be too hard on yourself just because you're not a model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads