• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick Dress socks

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have narrow feet and have trouble finding shoes that fit. I was wondering if anyone could recommend thick dress socks that are not to hot, ideally that can be worn year round.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dore Dore makes some dressy socks that are quite thick -- some are wool and some are cotton. The wool ones you wouldn't want to wear more than about 6-7 months of the year; the cotton ones could probably be worn nearly year-round.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that NM/Barneys NY/etc carry cashmere (e.g. Brioni), merino, cotton (e.g. Zegna) that are quite thick. High quality thick cashmere and merino are not hot in summer. Boot socks tend to be thick but usually have too much heat holding synthetic fiber--same with running/hiking/etc socks at REI. And they are often rather ugly. Maybe Padagonia/etc has some nice thick socks.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that NM/Barneys NY/etc carry cashmere (e.g. Brioni), merino, cotton (e.g. Zegna) that are quite thick.  High quality thick cashmere and merino are not hot in summer.  Boot socks tend to be thick but usually have too much heat holding synthetic  fiber--same with running/hiking/etc socks at REI.  And they are often rather ugly.  Maybe Padagonia/etc has some nice thick socks.
I've never found any of Patagonia's socks to be dressy, though they're certainly thick.

Press has some thick(er) wool socks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Does anyone find that this method works? When I try to wear thicker socks to compensate for looser shoes, I find that my feet rub a lot and I get blisters.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not me. I find a much better way to deal with slightly too big shoes (other than not buying them in the first place) is (i) to insert leather insoles (allen edmonds makes the best IMO, and (ii) to insert tongue pads on the underside of the shoes' tongue (which can be bought at any shoe repair store/dry cleaners/drug store).

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find that this method works?  When I try to wear thicker socks to compensate for looser shoes, I find that my feet rub a lot and I get blisters.
I find it works for me. But then again I am not talking about shoes that are one width too big, just shoes that are a little wider than I would like. The extra thickness of the socks is just enough to keep my feet from sliding around.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it works OK with slightly big shoes, like shoes that have gotten stretched by the trees but originally fit. Which is an increasing problem at my place.

The Pantherella wool-7%cashmere socks are good thick winter dress socks. At $7 - $15 at Marshall's they're not a bad deal. STP has similar Byford socks for around $10.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am gonna instert some insoles today but i thoughts socks were easier and more fun to buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads