• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The --worst-- books on fashion, style and etiquette?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd place a strong vote for -and warning against- this one: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Gentlem...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8 Not only is it next to useless content-wise it is also written in an unbearably nerdy and quirky style: faulty and unnecessarily complicated syntax and the authors' pathetic attempts to be witty and youthful, yet knowledgeable and 'gentlemanly' is as embarrassing as it is annoying. Post your warnings here!

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remembered something else for the German speakers: I found the long-winded and somehow constipated ramblings by Gräfin Sybille von Schönfeld about all the tedious aspects of daily life and the most boring aspects of being a host or eating at a restaurant to be worth of warning, too. Unless one suffers from insomnia. (But even then a valium and a bottle of champagne are more enjoyable).

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I'd place a strong vote for -and warning against- this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Gentlem...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Not only is it next to useless content-wise it is also written in an unbearably nerdy and quirky style: faulty and unnecessarily complicated syntax and the authors' pathetic attempts to be witty and youthful, yet knowledgeable and 'gentlemanly' is as embarrassing as it is annoying.

Post your warnings here!

It was written by a dude named Phinneas. 'Nuf said.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This book is worse...

http://www.amazon.com/Suit-Machiavel...6338238&sr=1-1

Just kidding.
smile.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd place a strong vote for -and warning against- this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Gentlem...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Not only is it next to useless content-wise it is also written in an unbearably nerdy and quirky style: faulty and unnecessarily complicated syntax and the authors' pathetic attempts to be witty and youthful, yet knowledgeable and 'gentlemanly' is as embarrassing as it is annoying.

Post your warnings here!

I have that book too, and agree.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one in the OP is pretty bad. But I recently received and skimmed through this and it's a major pile of warm dogpoo

41E%2BeO3SneL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What if Men's Image Consultant wrote a book?

Dude...

The one Nordstrom is selling really isn't that bad.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I have that book too, and agree.
It was the second book that I ever threw away after buying it (myself)...I didn't want it to get into the wrong hands...or rather: into any hands. gdl203: 'History of Men's Fashion' actually seems to be quite good or rather interesting (and I have a pretty good intuition pertaining to books etc.)...why did you think that it was bad? That Machiavelli suit book was by a poster here AFAICR (Marcus Antonius?)...looked interesting, too- he had a thread about it somewhere as far as I can recall...(where I recommended to him that Dante would have been an even cooler reference...)- anyway, I might even buy that some time..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gdl203: 'History of Men's Fashion' actually seems to be quite good or rather interesting (and I have a pretty good intuition pertaining to books etc.)...why did you think that it was bad?
It's just a collection of pompous and totally outdated "rules" about what men should (and especially should not) wear. I could have written it myself as a parody. An eye-rolling read throughout.

Manton's book is actually a great read. You should definitely get a copy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads