• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fuye

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tumblr_o7fiurNelK1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7fivjpogA1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

Details
is it normal that that lapel has " ripples"?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

is it normal that that lapel has " ripples"?

If you're referring to an overall shape to the lapels in that they're not pressed flat as a whole, then that's probably just because it's a soft fabric like linen in which case it's fine becuase it's supposed to be a little sloppy casual like that.

What I suspect you're referring to is the 'dot's along the edges, which is called by many "pick-stitching". In the old days when things were made by hand you'd actually be able to see the handwork by a tailor/seamstress having sewn together the lapel, the two layers of fabric, the canvas in between and I'm not sure but maybe felt or another layer behind it, as a sign of the work and perhaps out of necessity becuase there was no other way to hide it. With modern machines, we can use much thinner threads and even techniques like invisible sewing where the thread is barely even visible above the top layer (or hell, just glue/fuse it together), but as a nod to the old ways, as a personal stylistic preference by the designer (company or commissioner) it's still seen in ready to wear (or made to measure) items and that's what we're looking at here. So it's a fun little detail that acknowledges the history (like functional cuffs made by machine), it adds something to look at, and distinguishes the lapel line from the rest of the garment instead of one visual color blob. It's not necessary to show it nowadays, just like how functional/surgeon cuffs were at one point functional but today they really aren't, and yet we still stick to the tradition of having them, even if they're not useful and what was a sign of handwork is now just machine made.

Lacker

Reaction score
Hello there, long time lurker on SF, and seeing a few of my fellow french mates posting here, i've decided it was time to participate too !

There is a lot of diversity and quality in this thread, it's very inspiring and mind opening, thanks for that !
I hope to bring an helpful contribution !

Visvim - L'homme Rouge - Jomers - Paraboot

For curious people, here are a few of my previous fits: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138847346@N08/albums/72157664316183709

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wait a minute... I like these odds.

Edit: I'm in. LA Guy isn't allowed to win these things right? I'd say Troika's on location stuff is going to be hard to beat though.

:)

Ya but your fit is waaay more interesting

Also, cotton dockers is killin it in every single fit lately (for the past 2 years)

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really nice fit, I think that a chunky braided welt espadrille/creeper/ or derby in a lighter color would complement all of the linen so well 

Thanks! I've actually been on the hunt for a pair of those striped espadrilles Dries put out. No luck so far though.

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Nice fit @Lacker, I like how you're wearing those QloXLemaire pants rumpled in the fit really adds to it though it strays from the usual way people opt for Lemaire @Cotton Dockers, love the needles sneakers too.

flowcharts

Reaction score
@Lacker I like that fit and the album too, excited to see more fits from you in the future.
26534908163_485eb2958c_c.jpg

27105654486_cfe2a22885_z.jpg

Geller
Uniforms for the Dedicated
Geller (dip dye is still really hard to photograph, need to hem these a bit still too)
S2A

I was going to write out a long narrative about running into @OccultaVexillum aka Tony Two-Shirts, but it's Friday. If anyone wants to take a swing at that one....

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads